77 gallon planted journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
77 gallon planted journal

going to be starting a 77 gallon planted tank and im just looking for some input on as to if this is going to be a tank worth planting. its 24" deep so lighting i asume will be quite expensive. what im hoping to do with it is to do some small forground plant like baby tears, if anyone has better suggestions for a easier but yet still as attractive let me know. im sure ill be asking alot of questions throughout the build so ill thank everyone for there input in advance. here are a couple to start with

what kind of lighting/bulbs/wattage/kelvins?

what type of substrate would you use?

filtration?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi Wpgfish
the guy to ask about lighting is Wingo(aquapro). Lights may not be as much as you think if you get low light plants. Are you going to have co2? I hope you will be posting pix
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depending on the plants you go with, there is a large range of lighting options. With a 24" wide tank, using two smaller fixtures spacing them apart front to back would be best. A higher wattage/par light could be used also, raising higher above the substrate so the light is dispersed farther around the tank.

Substrate, same thing. There are many options. The most cost effective is a soil tank with some sort of inexpensive cap. Example would be some miracle grow organic potting soil with some hardware store sand, or cheap blasting sand. But if you have the money you could go the eco-complete, or flourite route. Or even better, something like aquasoil. Mineralized top soil (shown here - http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html) is often chosen for a great base in a planted tank.

A canister is the best place to start when it comes to filtration, tons of media options and customization to make it work for just what you need. Try to find a canister that is rated for a tank larger than the one you have, over filtration will give your tank some more breathing room in the future. Eheim, fluval both make great filters. Im sure you can find something online for less, or even check out ebay for some of the filters sold on there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

sorry i guess i should have said 24"high and as far as a filter i have a marineland c530 on the tank right now(its my malawi setup but its time for a change) which im sure would be plenty enough for a planted. im thinking that co2 is also somthing that i want to do, probably not right away but in the near future. i was tyhinking to go the soil route but its kinda hard to find potting soil in manitoba in the winter so i might go with whats in my 29 gallon which is eco complete
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

forgot to mention i do have fairly good lighting on the tank right now, 2x 40watt t8 and 1 retrofited t5ho 54 watts but im sure ill need more then that correct me if im wrong
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

just wondering if the footprint for this tank is worth planting or if i should be looking for somthing with less hight
48 wide 24 high and 16 deep
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

heres a quick pic of the tank, ilove my cichlids but its time for more of a challenge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	38069  

Name:	104.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	38070  

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

do you think my light is enough
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i picked up all my substrate todayand heres what i was thinking. going with 1" of organic potting mix followed by 1.5" of eco complete and toped with 2" of black granite blasting grit, now as far as the depth it will vary as id like to incorperate some higher spots for the deeper rooters along the back. aswell ill be using afew peices of driftwood and im not to sure on the rocks but slate is easy to come by around here so that may be my option. as for plants id like to grow possibly giant baby tears as a forground or crypt parva if my light wont grow it and for the rest of the tank things like anubius and crypts. for lighting 2 t8 and 1 or 2 t5ho. i will try with know co2 if that fails ill try diy and if all else fails ill save for the real deal. please give me your input and or suggestions
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well ive ive now got the tank up and running.
substrate 2" mirical grow organic choice potting mix and 2-4" black flourite
lights 2xt5ho 1=10000k and 1=6500 also 2 aquaglow 48" t8
slate rocks and driftwood
marinland c530 canister

let me know what you think of my hardscape and any ideas are welcome. if you think i need to raise the substrate any place let me know i still have 1 full 5 gallon pail of flourite.
i havent yet made up my mind what to do for a background and my water is a bit of a yellowish color im assuming from the mirical grow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	38206  

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	38207  

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfish View Post
well ive ive now got the tank up and running.
substrate 2" mirical grow organic choice potting mix and 2-4" black flourite
lights 2xt5ho 1=10000k and 1=6500 also 2 aquaglow 48" t8
slate rocks and driftwood
marinland c530 canister

let me know what you think of my hardscape and any ideas are welcome. if you think i need to raise the substrate any place let me know i still have 1 full 5 gallon pail of flourite.
i havent yet made up my mind what to do for a background and my water is a bit of a yellowish color im assuming from the mirical grow
This looks like it will be a fun tank. The Yellowish is also likely from your DW which is normal. Either time and water changes, or boiling will fix the issue.

For the background, it depends. You may have a plant concept figured out already, and if background plants are in you plans than over time it will filly in. Also, look at Moss Screens or something similar.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the driftwood was previously in a tank so i dont think its the problem. i would like some backgound plants but not to much so i was thinking of painting a peice of plywood and hanging it from the back. also im in a bit of a pickle with my lighting, its a diy canopy and i cant get my light any closer then 6" from the water will this be a problem? 2x48" t5ho and 2x48" t8

Last edited by wpgfish; 12-02-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

added a few plants yesturday and another peice of driftwood lets hear your input
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	38317  

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	38318  

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd suggest blacking out the back of the tank. Really helps by hiding some of the equipment, adds the element of depth, and really makes the plants pop against the background. I like to paint mine but since that's not really an option for you now unless you empty your tank, you can get some black construction paper or poster board or some of the vinyl tank backing that is sold by the foot at most LFS.

Lights, if you want to consider T5HO...look in to hydroponic lighting for cheap options. Not as good as dedicated aquarium lighting as the hydroponic stuff doesn't have the best reflectors (the cheaper stuff that is) but it is better than T8 lights. Just an option.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I'd suggest blacking out the back of the tank. Really helps by hiding some of the equipment, adds the element of depth, and really makes the plants pop against the background. I like to paint mine but since that's not really an option for you now unless you empty your tank, you can get some black construction paper or poster board or some of the vinyl tank backing that is sold by the foot at most LFS.

Lights, if you want to consider T5HO...look in to hydroponic lighting for cheap options. Not as good as dedicated aquarium lighting as the hydroponic stuff doesn't have the best reflectors (the cheaper stuff that is) but it is better than T8 lights. Just an option.
its funny you mentioned the background, you must have read my mind
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	38320  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode