I have worms. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have worms.

Well, not me, but the 10 gallon tote that I'm keeping my anubias and java ferns in while I'm waiting for the driftwood to sink.

By reading descriptions, they could be nematodes. They are long and thin, like whitish threads, some up to 1 to 1.5 inches, and when disturbed look like sperm swimming around.

I wouldn't mind them if they would n't be a threat to my fish, but I have seen some nasty images of fish with internal worms.

I know I could just refrain from using the plants in this bucket, but I really want to use them.

Some ferns and mosses arrived almost dead and shortly after I placed these new bits in the tub, I saw the worms.

How can I get rid of these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone? They are like tiny segments of white thread. When disturbed, obviously one end is like the "head" though no head is visible, these things are teeny tiny-- because the "head" end goes straight to where the rest of the flagellum tail propels the thing. The tails wiggle in multiple s-like curves as they swim.

The only thing that makes me think they could be nematodes is the forum post at

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...nize-them.html

but none of the pictures online look like what I am seeing.

I didn't have any of these things until I got this dead moss and dead mini pelia in from Singapore (I live in the United States). I didn't realize I was buying from Singapore.

At any rate,

HELP!

I am getting really, really creeped out by seeing tons of nasty, nasty photos of nematode infections and such. Things inside people's feet and knees and fish and stuff. I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So you are not keeping any animals with the worms? The shrimp keepers should be able to help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not in this holding tank right now. For about 1 day I had one amano shrimp in there that flipped out of the net while going to my 56 gallon tank. The only things living in there are these thread worm things, some hitchiking snails (red ramshorns?), and the plants that are waiting to be tied to my driftwood. (If my wife had access to a vat of molten lead, she'd have already hollowed out that wood and filled it with metal by now.) There a ton of dead plant remnants in that tub, too (I lost a lot of them while trying to balance needs, water conditions, etc.) but nothing else is alive in there (that I have found yet, anyway).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Could you post a photo of them?

Sounds like standard white worms that tend to be in our hobby. When I find them in new tanks, I remove them and feed them to my other tanks containing fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmmm i would say nematodes but i've never seen any of that size... the ones i've always seen have been only a few millimeters long.

i'd like to see a picture of them.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was worried the worms would infest the fish somehow. I tried to get a picture, Jake, but my camera wasn't good enough. They are quick and really tiny, like white threads that attack at one end of their body and seem to eat floating stuff with the other end of their bodies.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I get them all the time when starting up new tanks that involve plants from outside sources.

Try removing a few with a turkey baster and feeding them individually to your fish.

The last time I had an infestation like that, I put a couple Endlers in the tank and they went to town. Got so fat they looked pregnant.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
In my experience, I see these in every tank, especially when irritating the gravel.

Most common is "Planaria", per Wikipedia: "Planarian is the common name given to many non-parasitic flatworms of Turbellaria class".

Again, If I am changing things in my tank, or doing a good cleaning, I see them all the time, in abundance because I have a bad tendency of overfeeding (I always feel like the guys are still hungry) and that perpetuates the problem.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

If you used mud/dirt from your garden in your tank then the worms most likely came from there [ there the same time that humans get aswell ] most fish should eat them so your should be okay.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
If they are swimming in an "s" motion relatively fast like, and have little tiny "spikes or legs" they might be dero woms or some other detritus worm. I had some a while back and my fish loved them. I thknk I still have a video of them let me check
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/SANY0632.mp4

Detail isnt the best due to uploading to photobucket but you get the idea

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode