Using Flourish Products in the EI system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using Flourish Products in the EI system

I've been using Flourish, Flourish Trace and Root Tabs plus Iron (0-0-3) for my ferts in all my tanks per label instructions with a weekly 50% water change, sort of a very loose interpretation of the EI method. Since I'll be moving shortly, requiring the complete tear down of all the tanks, I've decided to get serious and attempt to follow the EI method as closely as I can. However, for reasons I won't get into, I have a large quantity of both Flourish and Flourish Trace as well as the Root Tabs which makes it somewhat impractical at this point to dump them and switch to something like Watsons products. I would like to know if I can adapt the EI method to the products I currently have on hand and what additional products I would need if any to satisfy the requirements of the EI method.

The analysis of the products are as follows:

Flourish

Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen 0.07%
Available Phosphate ( P2O5) 0.01%
Soluble Potash 0.37%
Calcium (Ca) 0.14%
Magnesium (Mg) 0.11%
Sulfur (S) 0.2773%
Boron (B) 0.009%
Chlorine (Cl) 1.15%
Cobalt (Co) 0.0004%
Copper (Cu) 0.0001%
Iron (Fe) 0.32%
Manganese (Mn) 0.0118%
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0009%
Sodium (Na) 0.13%
Zinc (Zn) 0.0007%

Derived from: Potassium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Gluconate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, Protein Hydrolysates.

Flourish Trace

Guaranteed Analysis
Boron (B) 0.0028%
Cobalt (Co) 0.00003%
Copper Cu) 0.0032%
0.0032% Soluble Copper (Cu)
Manganese (Mn) 0.085%
0.0085%Soluble Manganese(Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0003%
Zinc (Zn) 0.0169%
0.0169% Soluble Zinc (Zn)
Rubidium (Rh) 0.000008%
Nickel (Ni) 0.000003%
Vanadium (V) 0.000002%

Derived from: copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate, manganese sulfate, boric acid, sodium molybdate, zinc sulfate, rubidium chloride, nickel chloride, vanadium sulfate

Root Tabs plus Iron

Soluable Potash (K20) 3.0%
Magnesium (Mg) 1.0%
Sulfur (S) 3.0%
Iron Fe) 15.0%

Derived from: Potasium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate and Iron Sucrate

With no offense intended to anyone, I would apppreciate if this thread could be limited to discussion of the useability of the products listed (or why they couldn't used) in the EI method and what additonal products I would need to do it correctly. There are enough discussions on the merits of the EI method elsewhere, and I'm commited to using it.

Thanks in advance.

Troy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

OK... im not gonna kill you with remarks of how much of a horrible algae outbreak ive had using this product, the reason i have come to believe is the fact that the nutrients in the flourish products are a bit imbalanced and hard to calculate what your tank needs when everything is mixed together in set amounts. What i will tell you is i didnt feel like spending more money than i needed to after i purchased the products and i made it work for me, and so can you. Basically i can say with experience using flourish it does work on the plants, but for some reason i could just never cut the algae part out of it. So what i did is made my own PMDD solution using regular flourish, flourish iron, and adding KNo3, and potassium (no salt) as well as epsom salt to a pop bottle and mixed it all up very good. When i first did it i added phosphates also, but there seemed to be some kind of imbalance and caused a hair algae outbreak. So for my tank i didnt need the extra phosphate. Also i upped my co2 levels, i use 4 2l bottles now on my 29 gallon tank, and i add my mixed solution to about 10-14 drops every day and i have had NO algae since i started using this method, and my plants are growing like mad and showing bright vibrant reds, pinks, and greens. Also i do 2 25% water changes every week instead of 1 massive 50% water change. Perhaps my methods are totally different and wouldnt work for everyone but the EI dosing wouldnt work for me, and this obviously does. If you want flourish to work for you i would recommend looking up information on PMDD and adding the flourish in place of the plantex and see what happens. Despite what you do its going to be a little harder to get your nutrients balanced out using nothing but flourish, and you will probably still get some algae as a result. Good luck...
-nate
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Many of us use Flourish as trace, equivalent to CSM+B from gregwatson. I use a little of both. Although Flourish has SOME macros, and the root tab also contains some K, you really miss the NPK macros. Since you don't have Flourish NPK, I would suggest getting some KH2PO4 and KNO3 from gregwatson to complement your Flourish(If you have very high fish load like me, then no need for KNO3, get K2SO4 for K+ instead). Flourish Trace is called Tap Water by some because of its low concentration, you certainly can use it to supplement a little trace in addition to Flourish. Root tab won't hurt if buried carefully although many EI followers don't bother with them, relying on water column only instead. Tom Barr argues that if you see improvement from root tabs, that means your water column dosing is sub-optimal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode