Does high bioload effect plant growth? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does high bioload effect plant growth?

Hi,
I was wondering if a heavily stocked aquarium would hinder plant growth. Ive got a 8 discus and 8 roselines in a 100g and they are producing alot of wastes.
Thanks.
-Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
No. LOL! I had a 75 with around a dozen angelfish, several dozen assorted tetras (probably 50 all together), a rainbow shark, and 4 clown loaches. My fertilization included Ferroplant and Florapride. Lighting was 2-40 watt chroma 50s (Originally, I also had the striplight that came with the tank loaded with a 40 watt plant and aquarium bulb to balance the appearance but the strip died). Swords grew lush and thick (not exceptionally tall mind you but a veritable green carpet half-way up the tank). Cabomba and ludwegia would reach the surface, though their stems would rot and they'd have to be replanted. Very little algae, and it was only the common green stuff that the shark would eat.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:29 PM

fish produce nitrates through ammonia, so the more fish, the more no3 is produced. not necessairily a bad think, just means you just have to dose less.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Does dissolved organics effect plant life? Im constantly getting a protein slick on my water surface before my DIY extractor was working.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I had the same kind of thing in my tank. I was always told that this is especially apparent in newly setup tanks, as was in my case. I never knew that it was a "protein" slick, I just thought it was caused from not enough circulation. I hooked up a powerhead to lightly skim the surface and problem was solved. The only bad thing I can see from this "film" or "slick" is it reflects some of the light off the surface of the water, preventing it from reaching the plants, so this is obviously not a good thing.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't know the answer, I guess not. I am sure it will affect fish before it affect plant growth significantly though.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm just a shade over 1 fish per gallon in my tank . I've never actually had a slick on my tank top. I guess there must still be enough turbulance, though it doesn't seem like much to me. I started up with an EI based approach about 1-2 months ago. My fish wastes and my NO3 usage seem to be in perfect balance. So, I add no KNO3 during the week and add my 50% water change, I typically find my NO3 levels at 50% of my target, so I only add KNO3 on water changes. As I do 50% weekly water changes (at least 50% of the time ), I'm not sure the TDS would climb that high. So, no real insights on that portion of the question.

Brian.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

High bioload only serves to help plant growth by supplying more mulm in the substrate packed full of organic compounds which are then broken down by bacterium releasing CO2 (or DOC) and more available nutrients to the plants.

The scum on the tank surface is a biofilm consisting of bacteria, protozoa and algae. This forms more because of a lack of surface agitation rather than becuase of "bad" conditions. Bacteria like to form in numbers on surfaces (the reason why filter media has an immense surface area to volume ratio), and the water top is just another one of these surfaces.
The biofilm is harmless and if anything, helps to break down compounds in the ecosystem (especially the more natural ones). If you want to remove it, slight surface agitation is the best way.

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The biofilm is harmless and if anything, helps to break down compounds in the ecosystem (especially the more natural ones). If you want to remove it, slight surface agitation is the best way.

Wich can be easily acomplished by adding a molly or platy to the tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode