Unusual aquarium critters.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Unusual aquarium critters....

Does anyone have a link (or links) that has pictures to help identify possible pests that are found in aquariums along with suggested methods to get rid of them?

Thanks,

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It wasn't too long ago that I found things that looked like miniature "potato bugs" , now the night before last I saw these tiny worm-like creatures eating or attempting to eat the food I put out for my shrimp.

The best description that I can give is the the "worm" is about the thickness of a piece of thread,or maybe just a hair thicker, black or dark brown in color, and they move like a "slinky" toy from years ago!

I do regular water changes ,check water parameters 3x weekly and try to not overfeed the shrimp. The food I usually use is Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and the amount I use is a small pinch or roughly 1/2 the size of my fingernail on my little finger. This is for about 50-60 + shrimp of various sizes about every three days.

How do these "worms" get into a tank anyway? My tank is inside 100% of the time and its kept covered unless I'm doing maintainance.

More importantly, should I get rid of them and if I should have to do that, what can be used that DOES NOT kill shrimp or plants?

If chemicals should not be used can they be trapped?

Thanks,

Martin

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Take a pic would help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If my camera was able to capture the worm or leach in a photo I would! I already thought about that two days ago. Something that small does not show up well. You can see them with the naked eye but I noticed them while using a small magnifying glass. If they stop moving you can miss them.

The "Youtube" link is very close to the way it moves, however, the worms or leeches I have are darker, thinner, and shorter. I have seen three of them, two of which are 1/2" long and the third is slightly longer.

If you touch it it gets alot shorter very quickly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode