my first neon tetra bach : ) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
my first neon tetra bach : )

hi guys, i just came back form my LFS whit my firs bach of neon tetras, i think that my acuarium is already cicled and the water is clear, this is gonna be my first atemp to raise neon tetras : ) im gonna wait 45 minutes until the water temperature is the same that in the bag and then release the fish : ).currently the ph of my water is 6.5 an im injecting c02 whit the DIY c02 sistem. i just hope donht lose too many fishes hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You will want to acclimate them to more than just your temperature. Either do drip acclimation, or gradually add your tank water to the bags they are in. You could very easily kill them by osmotic shock if your water contains heavy TDS, and specially since you have CO2. Neons can be very sensitive.

Acclimating tropical fish: http://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm
Drip acclimation: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-method.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes your right, when the temperature of the bag was the same, i start adding some of my water tank to the bag, i made this every 15 minutes, i did this 4 times and now the fish are looking ok, but 3 of the 12 i purchase are in the surface of the aquarium (like if they need more oxygen) all the rest are looking good for now. : )

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good luck, hope it works out well. In the future you could try adding in a couple algae eating fish like otocinclus to see how they do in your tank before adding in a lot of fish just to be safe. Adding 12 fish right away to a tank that has never housed fishes is a big change so I hope all of them survive. I think the old mindset of "put a bunch of fish into a tank and prepare for few to die" is not really acceptable if it can be avoided.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yhea thx for the advise fusiongt, before i added the neon tetras i had some guppies to cicle the tank, i just remove the guppies and added the new fish : ) right now every thing seems to be right, but i hope donht lose too many fish : ) i just wait the 4 hours to turn on the lights again heh they look great im very happy whit my first neon tetras.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
You should test for ammonia for the next week or so and do water changes as needed.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good luck with the Neons Sergio.

I have kept them in several tanks over the years. Normally they die, but my most recent trial with them proved very good.

Although, as Jaguar mentioned, I would go with a drip acclimation. I ran a 1/4" tube with a flow control valve on the end and let them acclimate for over an hour before I added them to the tank. Lost a few, but the neons are doing excellent.

Also, I read somewhere (I cannot find it for the life of me), of an experience where someone floated bags versus placing in a bucket and the fish seemed to do much worse when floated.

I have seen fish get quite worked up and frantic when floated as they can see a huge tank, but no way of getting in. Anyways, I no longer float bags.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It depends where you get your neons, but I suspect most chain stores get them from the same couple of suppliers. I generally have seen a die off after a few months. The neons that survive will live for 5+ years. I think that the lfs variety neons are of pretty poor stock. I've heard rumors that they are quite inbred, but have no way to verify this.

It really is too bad that there isn't a good source of tank raised neons in the hobby. They aren't difficult to get to spawn, but fry survival would be zero in a typical tank. Actually, fry survival of any species is more or less zero in a tank containing adult neons. Supposedly egg development is inhibited by light. I have never tried to hatch the eggs so I can't verify this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im a little bit worried cuz i have some swordtail fry in the tank, but almost 2 hours ago i find one in the substrate almost dead, the fry is 2 weeks old, i hope thats normal, im still changing 30% of the water sunday .
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why wait until Sunday for a water change? How many guppies did you have in the tank and how long has the tank been cycled? And you said you "think" it's cycled - have you tested your water to be sure?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh well im waiting until sunday cuz i've do change 35% of water last sunday, so now im waiting for the next water change cuz i donht whant to lose too much bacteria in case theres lack of it, or its advisable to change the water now? right now all the tetras are still alive
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Dog
Algae Grower

There is no beneficial bacteria in the water, a water change does not have anything to do with bacteria. Bacteria is on your filter media and the stuff in the tank like the substrate, glass, decorations, etc.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh! thats new for me i thought that the bacteria live in the water too hehe, in that case im going to change the water tomorrow morning : )
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, most of the bacteria is on the surfaces, not in the water. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and do some water changes in the next week just to be on the safe side. It won't hurt your cycle and will be good for the fish in case you have an ammonia spike due to adding the new fish.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
In the future, don't ever place new fish in a tank with existing fish ...at least not those you really don't want to die. New fish, especially from a chain LFS, are very often carrying disease. I quarantine new fish for a month in a quarantine tank - just a small 10g with a few cheap plants - and wait. The last time I bought fish from a chain LFS and didn't quarantine them, I lost them all one by one, and then half the fish previously in the tank, in the span of a week. Never again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode