120gal, new Eheim 2080, spray bar location? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
120gal, new Eheim 2080, spray bar location?

Ok so my Eheim 2080 arrived this morning, need opinions... again tank is 120gal 4' x 2' x 2' planted high tech with discus and dither fish. I will place the two intakes to filter in each of the back corners. For the spray bar return from filter into tank: should I place spray bar in middle of back glass facing forward across the 2 foot width (wouldthat be too much flow over short distance), or place it on an end and go left to right across the 4 foot length? What would you do?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Thats cool, never seen one with 2 intakes built into it! Makes me want to install a Y on mine and make a dual intake out of it haha

As far as placement, I actually placed my spray bar on my 125 at the end of my tank facing the other end in order to create a current down the length of the tank. Not sure if that would work with a dual intake or not.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hm I guess there's really just 2 options. On the left side pointing to right. Or back-left pointing frontwards. I think i'tll depend on how you would like the current to be for your fish. Left to right would be the strongest (though in a big tank like yours maybe it won't be as strong if you tilt the spray bar more towards the bottom of the tank), and back to front would create a whirlpool flow. I don't know enough about discus to answer it, but I imagine whichever way you go will be fine.

On my old 60 gallon I put my eheim pro 2 spray bar facing left to right.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Something like this:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Just like Jeff's diagram, click on my journal below and take a look at the custom intake/outlet with placement just like in the diagram. It's almost the same tank but mine is 30 inches tall and both tanks are hard to keep the flow moving without dead spots, it's a trade off but I feel the single long vertical spraybar is less noticeable the powerheads or circulation pumps all over the tank. But my tank is getting cleaner, no more surface scum and my CO2 comes out of the spraybar so it gets pushed across the bottom of the tank.

Put both intakes right next to each other or get the proper size tubing to combine them.

It's the Amano method.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode