Good Books about this Hobby? - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good Books about this Hobby?

Hi,

For the holidays I would like to ask my wife for a book on planted aquariums. I'm pretty new, a couple of months ago I got a fluval spec nano as my first tank ever. I would love to learn more. I've been looking on amazon at a couple of books. Can anyone recommend some?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad IME a must
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I haven't seen it but heard good reviews.
Quote:
Back to nature guide to nano aquaria- $27- GREAT book! Shipping is $2 media mail!
Rachel has it for sale
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/in...-furcatas.html

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I read Walstad's book and found that most of the things there were not related to practical planted tank keeping. If heavy metal uptake, phyto toxins and allelopathy speculations are high on your priority list, it's a must-read.

Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants is a great reference, although a bit pricey and, being a book, obviously doesn't contain the very latest in new plant discoveries.

For some eye candy, Amano's Nature Aquarium series is really something. Perfect if you are starting out and need some inspiration (or want to show to your significant other what's possible).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
I read Walstad's book and found that most of the things there were not related to practical planted tank keeping. If heavy metal uptake, phyto toxins and allelopathy speculations are high on your priority list, it's a must-read.
Feeling like this is a pretty narrow comment on the contents of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad.
While the topics mentioned are included with more detail than I cared to read or attempt to fully understand the book also includes a great deal of useful information in simple to understand terms. I feel the work has genuine value and covers more than just the narrow topic of balanced tanking alone. Does a reader need to understand everything included to find use for whats covered? no.

just posting another opinion

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Last edited by wkndracer; 11-23-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Perceived as offensive comment removed
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Feeling like this is a pretty narrow and sharp slam posted on Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad
Yeah, I was tempted to say, "he just doesn't get it", but I kinda know where he is coming from. If you are going to buy the Walstad book, you should understand first what it is about. It is not your typical plant book.

It takes a look at the natural environment of aquatic plants and how to duplicate that in the aquarium. It can be a bit of a dry reading.

Kasselmann is one of my favorites

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
The Simple Guide To Planted Aquariums by Terry Ann Barber and Rhonda Wilson. Very informative and easy to understand.

Aquarium Plants : Comprehensive coverage, from growing them to perfection to choosing the best varieties by Peter Hiscock. This one was a big help in planning my most recent tank to look exactly how I wanted it.

Mini Aquariums by David E. Boruchowitz.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedreemer View Post
The Simple Guide To Planted Aquariums by Terry Ann Barber and Rhonda Wilson. Very informative and easy to understand.

Aquarium Plants : Comprehensive coverage, from growing them to perfection to choosing the best varieties by Peter Hiscock. This one was a big help in planning my most recent tank to look exactly how I wanted it.

Mini Aquariums by David E. Boruchowitz.
The simple guide and the mini aquarium I had both seen on Amazon and it didn't have the best reviews.

I was also wary of the Ecology one, since with my limited knowledge, something that included pictures of each plant would also be helpful.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Really? Because I've enjoyed both immensely. I originally got the mini aquarium one at my library and enjoyed it so much I almost bought it, but I don't have any interest in keeping a mini aquarium so decided against spending the $$.

Edited to say the Peter Hiscock book has lots of pics of plants.

Too bad most of these aren't available at a book store so you could browse them first.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
for pictures of plants this site, APC or Google search to aid with ID, the web is hard to beat.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad.
With the advanced dry reading it sounds as though the bibliography might be worth the price of the book. But I love mining for info and those lists can lead to so much more info to read online.

I much prefer to understand why I'm being told how to do something.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
The "simple guide" book helped me get started a few years back, still think its pretty good. Not up to date with the latest advances, but the basics are good. The new Amano book that compiles the three nature aquarium world books is quite good. The Walstad book wasn't for me.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
I haven't seen it but heard good reviews.

Rachel has it for sale
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/in...-furcatas.html
it really is a good book. i am not a huge fan of aquarium books mags but it has a info on shrimp/snails/ a lot of small fish and some plants.

In SoCali? Looking for fish plants equipment? want to learn something about the hobby?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post

Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants is a great reference, although a bit pricey and, being a book, obviously doesn't contain the very latest in new plant discoveries.

For some eye candy, Amano's Nature Aquarium series is really something. Perfect if you are starting out and need some inspiration (or want to show to your significant other what's possible).
Perhaps a second reading will provide some degree of enlightenment or appreciation. I too have the Amano book and find the pictures of his work spectacular.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I did, and it is what it is. Let me qualify my statement since some folks seem to think while they can give "just an opinion", other opinions need to be attacked.

The OP asked: "I'm pretty new, a couple of months ago I got a fluval spec nano as my first tank ever."

The response was: "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad IME a must".

I offered my opinion as well which was different from this response. Not a book review, just a short comment why I think it would not be the best first read for someone starting out and looking to learn more about Planted Tanks. Everyone has an opinion, and even if you read one which you feel it is not entirely correct, there are ways to express that without the need to start slamming.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode