Newcomer, Needs help with first planted nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newcomer, Needs help with first planted nano

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and am from New Zealand. I have a 200L turtle tank with my pride and joy "Squirtle" in there with some java moss, danios and some other stem plants that he has decided to chew from the bottom of the stems. Oh well...

Anyway, lately I have built my own nano aquarium. The dimensions are 40cm(L)x30cm(W)x25cm(H). It took about a week for the silicone to cure, then I did a leak test, which turned out fine. I have also built a small stand for it.

I plan to aquascape this tank, with an iwagumi type scape. I need to find some suitable rocks for it still. I have just bought an Aqua One AL15D, which gives me 30W of light or 4W per gallon (outdated rule I know) or 30W per 20cm of water depth ( to compensate for gravel depth and stuff).

I plan for this to be a cheap High Tech nano. So I have decided to go with a DIY CO2 reactor. Using a 1.5L Ice Tea Bottle and the regular sugar water yeast and airline with a check valve.

a few questions about the CO2:
1. How can I make a diffuser? I'm pretty nifty with the DIY stuff
2. Ive heard of DIY CO2 generators exploding. Will the check valve prevent this?
3. Do I need to make a bubble counter? and how many bubbles per second should I be aiming for?

Okay now plants.
I plan to use a single line of hairgrass or twisted val as a backdrop. Rocks as a hardscape and riccia as a lawn.
My drawings

I'm not sure about it yet, this or, having two rock features at each back corner, then a riccia lawn, and then a stream of silica sand.

Questions about the plants:
1. Any tips for growing out riccia? Im only getting a small bunch so need to grow it out before I can attach it to rocks.
2. Will the plants use all the CO2, from the CO2 reactor I stated above?

And I found this fertilizer in the garden shed.

Would this be suitable to use as fertilizer for the aquarium?

Any suggestions or insights are welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Squirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Never mind about the CO2 stuff now, I found a second hand hagen nutrafin CO2 reactor with bubble ladder cheaply now. Still any insight on the other stuff is appreciated.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
What will you se for a Substrate?

That's fert isn't terribly strong it could be used if you go very lightly. It does not say if it is time release so you don't want to use to much as you may get a Algae outbreak.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not sure on a substrate yet, maybe aqua basis is I can pick up a small amount of it. I really only need it for the back of the tank as riccia will only need fertilizers in the water column. Is there any specific substrate that I should look at buying to grow hairgrass or twisted Val?

Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

since only the back line has root plants, would using JBL root balls work? Hopefully my light, CO2 and riccia arrive this week.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump, anyone? I have gotten some substrate fertilizer. Is it a bad idea putting it in? Because I only going to have riccia and dwarf hair grass in there. I don't want to have major algae problems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode