Venting about Petsmart... - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Venting about Petsmart...

So I know going that most people that work the fish section have little (if any) experience keeping fish and I do my best to be polite and throw in a few corrections when I'm able.

But today was a real bummer... I went in to get a half-dozen cherry barbs... they were in a long tank with some danios and rasboras. The guy chased the fish around with a single net for a couple minutes without catching anything. So I kindly suggested that its much easier to catch the fish with two nets.

He said I wasn't allowed to catch the fish, only employees were allowed. After several more minutes the fish were obviously stress and I was about to tell him to forget when he finally caught all six and they looked decent enough... if they weren't barbs I wouldn't have taken them.

As he finishes packing them up he says he's only a back up in this department so I can't criticize his fish catching ability. Then asks if I used to work in a pet store... I said no but I've been keeping fish for about 20 years. He then says that they're not allowed to use two nets, it's "illegal" he said. I'm guessing he meant that metaphorically in relation to Petsmart rules; but still.

*slaps forehead*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

LOL illegal, that's too funny, the way most pet stores keep their fish is animal cruelty and that is illegal, but the poor guy must have been embarrassed that he couldn't catch a tiny fish in a tank
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
I normally just get a manager when the employees tell me something that isn't true AT ALL. Like that lucky bamboo is 100% aquatic....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I normally just get a manager when the employees tell me something that isn't true AT ALL. Like that lucky bamboo is 100% aquatic....
I think it's part of our culture, it's next to impossible for most people to say I don't know....when they really don't.

Which goes along with making up storys about illegal procedures.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah I seriously hope he meant "illegal" as in "against store policy" but even so... it's a stupid policy, lol!

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
What, you guys didn't know that it is illegal to use two fish nets in an aquarium at the same time? You criminals!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
LOL illegal, that's too funny, the way most pet stores keep their fish is animal cruelty and that is illegal, but the poor guy must have been embarrassed that he couldn't catch a tiny fish in a tank

Hmmm...so, what's the penalty and how much is the fine? What's the prison term...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
As much as I discourage my friends to buy livestock from pestmart, I think this particular story has more to do with the particular employee (lemme guess, some teenager?) than the store.

Firefiend, it's nice of you to share tips to the employees in the nicest and most polite way that you can, but you also have to be prepared to meet some young folks that have a little too much of that don't-correct-me-i'm-always-right attitude.

I know my dad and I always get into verbal arguements during that magical 16-21 age hahaha!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
My local petsmart has a really nice old man there who's slow moving but he could catch fish like an expert so it all really depends.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
I think this particular story has more to do with the particular employee (lemme guess, some teenager?) than the store.
Now Zergling, I really don't think it's fair to just say some teenager, not all teenagers are like that...

I'm 17 and have been working at my LFS for 2 years. I'm the head of freshwater.. and.. I can catch fish.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I think I'm rather lucky - the staff at my local petsmart may not all be fishkeepers themselves, but I think many of them do have multiple aquariums and really are interested. One guy there has a kazillion birds, too, but he knows a lot about the fish and equipment.
I was telling one of the young guys that works there about this site & he seemed interested, he even brought the name of TPT up last time I was there. There are always going to be salespeople that are just salespeople - I know, I work in retail. We're lucky when dedicated hobbyists get the job!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I think this particular story has more to do with the particular employee (lemme guess, some teenager?) than the store.

I wish that were true, lol... it was during school hours and he was definitely mid to late 20's, haha.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary908 View Post
Now Zergling, I really don't think it's fair to just say some teenager, not all teenagers are like that...

I'm 17 and have been working at my LFS for 2 years. I'm the head of freshwater.. and.. I can catch fish.
Ah yes, good point, although I definitely did not intend to generalize. It's just that it is normal for working teenagers to go through that know-it-all phase. I know I went through that hardcore

On the flip side, not everyone that has years of experience in the hobby are good and/or super knowledgeable. I have 20+ on and off years with freshwater tanks (mostly window-sun-lit planted), but it takes me forever to catch fish
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
I wish that were true, lol... it was during school hours and he was definitely mid to late 20's, haha.
Oh hahaha, maybe he's having a bad case of the mondays
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Ah yes, good point, although I definitely did not intend to generalize. It's just that it is normal for working teenagers to go through that know-it-all phase. I know I went through that hardcore
Haha, I knew what you meant, I was just messing with you, bro.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode