What to do with my tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
What to do with my tanks?

This is kind of embarrassing for me to ask, but recently a stray cat snuck into my basement and decided to have a litter. They're gone now but left us a nice present for us to remember them by: fleas. I haven't confirmed that they are fleas but my skin is highly allergic to insect bites but whatever they are, they are terrorizing me. Just me too, not anyone else in the family...

With that said, we have decided to use flea bombs to try to remedy the problem because my life is absolutely miserable right now... What I am concerned about is what should I do with my tanks? Will the chemicals be harmful to my tanks with fish and shrimp? I had the crazy idea of wrapping plastic around the top of my tank and just running air pumps during the bombing.

Any suggestions or hints will be helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Instead of bug bombs, you might try diatomaceous earth. Sprinkle it around the infested area, let it sit for about 24 hours then vacuum it up. When you empty the vacuum, do so outside in a trash can or bag. Just don't leave it in the house. When you spread it, wear a mask. DE isn't toxic but it will mess with your lungs if you breathe it in. A big bonus, DE won't harm your tanks.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Cling wrap the tops?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottagewitch View Post
Instead of bug bombs, you might try diatomaceous earth. Sprinkle it around the infested area, let it sit for about 24 hours then vacuum it up. When you empty the vacuum, do so outside in a trash can or bag. Just don't leave it in the house. When you spread it, wear a mask. DE isn't toxic but it will mess with your lungs if you breathe it in. A big bonus, DE won't harm your tanks.
Thanks for the suggestion, but at this point, we have no idea how far the infestation has spread.

Yes I was also thinking of cling wrapping the top of the tanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cling wrap... saran wrap... put a towel on top of it (for some weight) and I imagine you'll be good if you do a bomb.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay thanks a lot. I will do that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
USE THIS for fleas.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ul...-oz-p-175.html

We live in the woods and have dogs. We get fleas every year, and they tear me up. I have tried everything, but this stuff works every time first try. Get a few cans of this, spray it around. 2 weeks later, spray it around again. You will have no more fleas.

As far as the tank goes, cover them when you spray. After 30 minutes the spray will have settled and will no longer be in air form and able to get into your tank.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Before you coat the inside of your home with chemical poisons, look at this site's products:
http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html

Came home from a dog show out of state and my guys brought some fleas with them. I used the cedar side, problem solved, house smelled nice, no film on every thing and were are not breathing the toxic vapors that can not be good for fish or humans.

Don't Panic...Go organic
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I have outside cats and we bomb every fall. Just cover the top of the tank. The spray settles pretty quickly.

Don't run air in the tank - it'll be pulling from the poisoned air and putting it directly in your tank. You can leave the HOB (or whatever) running with plastic and towels over the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode