The amazon sword in my 7 gallon... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The amazon sword in my 7 gallon...

I just introduced an amazon sword as a final plant to fill my high light co2 fertilized 7g jungle with 1 male betta and 6 dwarf cories (plants are java moss, java fern, banana plants, rotala wallichi, cabomba, dwarf hairgrass, broad wudligia, and amazon sword)

I know the amazon sword will get way to big for my tank, the leaves are already at the surface, i was wonder is there a way for me to keep it in size by pruning? can I get scissors and cut a stem off from the bottom of the plant when it starts taking up too much room? its beautiful id really love to keep it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 06:07 AM

Speaking from experience, you cant cut a stem and replant it to get it to grow, it will just slowly decay. I agree with you, the amazon swords add a lot to a tank.

Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm not looking to replant it, my tank is already full of plants. I was just wondering if I could safely cut a stem off and toss it and the rest of the plant would be ok, just to keep it small enough for the 7 gallon

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yes you can safely trim it but ... If its a true "Amazon" sword then it will only work trimming it for a short time. Eventually you will run out of leaves to trim because the plant wont be able to keep up with new growth to replace the cut ones and it gets very silly looking.
There are a few varieties of swords that would do much better in a small tank... you picked the worst possible choice of the swords to try, its the largest growing variety by nature.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode