My co2 line exploded... - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
My co2 line exploded...

...and ended in disaster. My 5.5 gallon's back glass panel shattered and I had rcs all over the floor including some puddles. Somehow my gla atomizer quit working I guess? I don't know what happened exactly all I know is I heard a gun shot and I looked up and my aquarium was empty. The girlfriend helped me clean everything up. I have a picture of my shattered aquarium that's about it. I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket that had some water in it for water changes and just tossed shrimp in there. Not the warmest of waters but water none the less. So I have my filter running on the bucket. My plants floating around in that and now I don't know what to do. All I know is I'm not allowed to get another tank probably so I'm gonna have to through the rcs in my 10 gallon or something. I'm not very happy right now... Things haven't been going my way

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
The line exploded and shattered glass? Crazy! You sure it wasn't the diffuser or something else entirely? like a heater?

That's nuts, I hope I never experience something like that!
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The line exploded. I know this because I found the split line right above the diffuser. It was white instead of clear.

Do you think the gla bubble counter fluid could have somehow gotten through the line and clogged the diffuser?

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very strange. I can't see how a clogged co2 line would blow a tank out, rather than the line blowing off elsewhere (like at the check valve).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I feel like it might have gotten clogged before the diffuser and the built up pressure caused it to shoot out and hit the glass
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Pressure won't "build up". The max pressure in the line will be the level the working pressure is set to. If the line actually exploded, the regulator, for whatever reason, put out a heck of a lot higher psi than we would ever use. Or the tubing was defective.

An Atomic diffuser won't work at below around 30psi. If the working pressure of the regulator is set at, say, 20psi, no bubbles come out of the diffuser. The bubble counter will show no bubbles. The pressure in the line will be at 20psi all the way down to the diffuser. And it will stay that way for as long as the pressure is set under the cracking pressure of the diffuser. Nothing will explode.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
that is just... bizzarre
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It was a paintball setup. The bubble counter was still working I just figured the pressure needed to build to break the diffuser so I left it go.

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Aah. Okay, that explains it. If there was some sort of blockage, then yes, the pressure would begin increasing to a max of 800psi, but the tubing would definitely blow out long before then.

That's one of the problems with using a paintball cylinder without a regulator. And one of the reasons I won't ever mess with a paintball ASA valve rig.

Just out of curiosity, were you using any barbs, or just compression fittings with the tubing? And now that I think of it, maybe it's a good idea to make sure there's at least one barb along the line (for everybody else using this setup), so that hopefully the tubing would blow off a barb rather than explode, given some sort of blockage.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Wow, that sucks. At least you were at home when it happened. Our 40 gal sprung a leak once while I was at work and flooded half the living room. It damaged the flooring and everything. I hope that things turn around for you quickly.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wow, that's kind of scary. Are your shrimp okay? If not, in a month or so I might be able to send you some F1 PFRs.

Proud member of
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Eek! Sorry to hear, that's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon McCloud View Post
Do you think the gla bubble counter fluid could have somehow gotten through the line and clogged the diffuser?
It's quite possible. I've heard that glycerin, which is what bubble counter fluid usually is, will definitely clog the atomic diffusers. And sometimes when first turning on the system, the initial rush of gas can force fluid out of the counter and into the diffuser.

I play it safe with my CO2 systems by avoiding any scenario that may lead to a large increase in pressure due to a clog. So I have no bubble counter connected to my Atomic inline diffuser. And I never use any diffuser that can clog with an unregulated system; even with DIY I avoid glass diffusers and airstones.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Aah. Okay, that explains it. If there was some sort of blockage, then yes, the pressure would begin increasing to a max of 800psi, but the tubing would definitely blow out long before then.

That's one of the problems with using a paintball cylinder without a regulator. And one of the reasons I won't ever mess with a paintball ASA valve rig.

Just out of curiosity, were you using any barbs, or just compression fittings with the tubing? And now that I think of it, maybe it's a good idea to make sure there's at least one barb along the line (for everybody else using this setup), so that hopefully the tubing would blow off a barb rather than explode, given some sort of blockage.
Yeah I was always skeptical of the paintball systems, but decided to give it a whirl... and look how that turned out. I'll have to use a barb of some sort when I set it back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotifish View Post

Wow, that sucks. At least you were at home when it happened. Our 40 gal sprung a leak once while I was at work and flooded half the living room. It damaged the flooring and everything. I hope that things turn around for you quickly.
yeah, but I think I alsmost had a heart attack. lol. I just sat there in shock i think, scared the bejesus out of me. I heard my girlfriend yell what happened, and she came in and I was just sitting there staring at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
Wow, that's kind of scary. Are your shrimp okay? If not, in a month or so I might be able to send you some F1 PFRs.
most are okay as far as I can tell. couldn't rescue the tiny babies though
I'm curious as to what f1 PFRs are though.

also my girlfriends brother who saw the after math is giving me his 5.5 gallon that he just was going to get rid of, so I've got a tank to put everything back into. I'm just scared of my paintball co2 now lol.

and to my friend DarkCobra,
I think I have learned my lesson. now I have to figure out how to unclog the diffuser because I would love to use it again. anybody have any suggestions?
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
now I have to figure out how to unclog the diffuser because I would love to use it again. anybody have any suggestions?
I've seen a few reports that the glycerin can be removed by forcing alcohol through the diffuser, like PatrickW describes here.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
most are okay as far as I can tell. couldn't rescue the tiny babies though
I'm curious as to what f1 PFRs are though.
Sorry, that's breeder's notation. F1 means first generation, F2 would mean second generation, and so on. F0 or P would be parent stock or original cross (if you're crossing two existing lines). So the shrimp I have are the first batch of offspring from the parents that I bought.

Glad to hear your shrimp are okay!

Proud member of
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode