How well made is your Aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
How well made is your Aquarium?

Spent some time looking at Aquariums in a few stores. Maybe "looking" isn't accurate, I had a small metal machinist's ruler and I was checking fitment of the glass at the corners. I like to say I was "shocked' but, I found pretty much what I expected, not very precise work.

I inspected 62 tanks in 4 stores and found two tanks a 29 and 55 that were close to perfect at the corners and true front to back top vv bottom measurements.

I worst was 1/8" off on both of the front/side alignment, true in the right rest corner 1/16 off in the left rear.

I found one ware the silicone between the side glass & front was 1/4th at the bottom tapering to "touching at the top. That tank was on a top shelf and I could reach high enough to get a clean measurement.

In a way a testament to the the silicone companies. I just don't hear about many production Aquariums failing. Yet, mention a DIY tank and the fist thing you hear is it will fail....Makes you wonder.

Last edited by DogFish; 12-31-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Don't know but my tank is acrylic. However, I hate the bracing!!!! All corners are round. No edges.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i've heard the glue that holds it all together is rather hard to find for the DIY'er
they don't want you to succeed or there would be a HUGE price drop in aquariums for them to compete? why pay 600 for a 200 gallon rimless when u can spend extra time and make your own for 200?? (prices may vary just examples)

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm actually about ready to assemble my own rimless. A bit of google work and the silicone is not that hard to find.

Most DIYers don't have the glass buying power to save enough on the material costs to make it worthy while. I by passed that by recycling an old 75, with will be my 41 gl.

Used tank from Craigslist, I did the clean up & disassembly, Glass shop cut it up and ground the edges. I'm still under$110.

I was checking joint gaps to better understand construction when I realized how poor the fitment was a on the mass produced tanks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
That's really interesting - thanks for doing the footwork.

It makes me wonder about quality ...or, more specifically "quality". Since tanks failing is, if not rare, then uncommon (at least early in a tank's life before the silicone starts to rot away), is it really just the silicone that does the real work? It makes sense that a very slight glass angle wouldn't make much of a difference when you factor in such simple things as leaning heavily on one side when reaching down to the bottom of a filled tank.

My guess is that the unease people feel about DIY tanks is related to the fact that so few people know the basics of how to construct them. For example, do you place sides on top of the bottom pane, or next to the bottom pane? What seems obvious to critics is often not so obvious to the folks willing to get their hands dirty and give it a shot.

I can't remember seeing a thread talking about types and strength of silicone glue, other than your basic Home Depot varieties. Blazing, do you have any information about this?

Wow, I wish I knew of a good, cheap, local glass source. This could be a fun project - "Seriously, How Badly Do I Have to Construct a Tank for It to Fail?"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I found a web page (sorry no bookmark on it) that have some stress load data. The factors are high x width in relationship to thickness of glass. i believe I remember that 3/8" thick was good in rimless non braced to 27 @ 4' L. I'm using 3/8" and only going 15"T x 37" L.

I hope by over building I'll have a safety factor that will work.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i've heard the glue that holds it all together is rather hard to find for the DIY'er
they don't want you to succeed or there would be a HUGE price drop in aquariums for them to compete? why pay 600 for a 200 gallon rimless when u can spend extra time and make your own for 200?? (prices may vary just examples)
For glass? No. GE silicone. Pretty run of the mill stuff. MOST people don't diy things. Plain and simple.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode