night-time aeration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
night-time aeration

Ive read a few times that if you are using pressurized Co2 with an electric solenoid you should turn off the Co2 at night and alternate to adding oxygen so that your pH doesn't plummet. How much oxygen do you need to add? For example I have a 55g tank and I'm planning on using pressuized Co2 at 3 bubbles per second at night if I use just a small air pump (Profile 1000 rated for a 10g tank) with a small air stone will that be enough O2 or should a use my larger Tetra Whisper 60 with a 12" bubble wand?

Eheim Pimp #484
55g High-tech
Ludwigia glandulosa, Hemianthus callitrichoides, Hygrophila lacustris, Echinodorus tenellus, Echinodorus bleheri, aponogeton undulata

AquaristLife:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

why r u running co2 at night?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
why r u running co2 at night?
He's not, just poor grammar. There is supposed to be a comma there lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsTanks View Post
Ive read a few times that if you are using pressurized Co2 with an electric solenoid you should turn off the Co2 at night and alternate to adding oxygen so that your pH doesn't plummet. How much oxygen do you need to add? For example I have a 55g tank and I'm planning on using pressuized Co2 at 3 bubbles per second at night if I use just a small air pump (Profile 1000 rated for a 10g tank) with a small air stone will that be enough O2 or should a use my larger Tetra Whisper 60 with a 12" bubble wand?
All you have to do is raise lily pipes or point spray bar at water surface. No need for an air stone.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, sorry. Poor grammer on my part

Eheim Pimp #484
55g High-tech
Ludwigia glandulosa, Hemianthus callitrichoides, Hygrophila lacustris, Echinodorus tenellus, Echinodorus bleheri, aponogeton undulata

AquaristLife:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Do you have a spray bar or lily pipes?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dont have lily pipes but I'm planning on making diy spray bars for both of canister filters on the tank

Eheim Pimp #484
55g High-tech

AquaristLife:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsTanks View Post
I dont have lily pipes but I'm planning on making diy spray bars for both of canister filters on the tank
Oh ok, well save the money for the pumps and just put yours spray bar ect pointing up. All you need is to have surface agitation.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i'll point out it has nothing to do with ph crash
plants absorb oxygen and release c02 at night. it raises c02 levels a little bit. PERSONALLY
i run surface agitation all day as it is very beneficial to ur tank. u dont loose too much c02 and can easily increase it.
i increase agitation at night by airstone to rapidly decrease c02 levels because filter bacteria goes into remission close to 6.0 on the ph scale. it takes a while to wake back up so my nights are for my nitrogen cycle to take place

if u don't get below 6.1 on ph then there is no reason in a healthy tank to increase agitation at night. just keep some going all day and u'll have a nice healthy tank oxygen wise at least

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Personally, I have never felt the need to run an air pump at night. Turning off your CO2 1/2-1 hour before lights out pretty much uses it all up before the plants' aerobic cycle. A little surface agitation can't hurt either. I've always felt that good turn over between the top and bottom of the water column is important. I have not tried to verify this in anyway, so I can't really claim it has any great benefit. Water at the top of the tank is always going to be in better equilibrium with the atmosphere at night however.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode