20L vs 30 breeder tank (plant only) help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
20L vs 30 breeder tank (plant only) help!

i am itching to buy a bigger tank (but not too big)!

my little nano (planted in oct) is fully cycled, fish are healthy and my plants are bustin out. i've been fighting the urge to mess with my tank because i wanted everything to become well established... my main problem are my stem plants and floaters... they are basically taking over my tank, i have no space and waterflow is becoming an issue (see pic).

the goal is to have a working tank that i can propagate my plants in and eventually go dutch with lol.

bottom line is i want to prune/transplant the following plants this weekend:

- rotala walichi (transplant base plant and replant cuttings)
- rotala macranda (cuttings)
- valisnera spiralis (all). it does not like the soft water in my nano pH 6.6, K3
- anubias barteri (two rhizomes)
- moss balls (i thought these guys didn't grow.. they've gotten huge!)
- salvina (i love this floating plant, they're beautiful... but it grows super fast, covers almost 90% of my water surface, and encourages all kinds of animals to exist on its leaves and roots [which is good an bad] lol... i thin them out every day, if anyone has an algea problem or want some, please PM me. i hate throwing my plants away!)

This is what i got to work with.. all i need is the tank!:

Equipment:
- exist 2011 classic (60% established). i'm gonna keep this guy in the nano
- exist. fluval submersible filter 25gph (established). it just takes up too much space! i'm currently only using this for water agitation. i plan to swap it out with the toms mini.
- new toms mini submersible 15gph (removing the filter sponge and use as a hidden powerhead)
- new koralia nano 250gph. I originally got this for the nano, but i am leaning towards using it for the new setup.

equipment strategy: I'm gonna set the new tank up with the established fluval submersible on one end and the koralia powerhead on the other end mainly for circulation purpose only. i know its undersized but i figure since the filter is established it can help seed and cycle my tank in case i wanna trow some of my clean up crew in there (otto, nerite, RCS)

lighitng
- its probably going to be DIY PC bulbs, reflector, shroud etc 65w, 6500k, 3500 lumens like my nano light

Co2
i might transplant the diffuser from the nano and go natural with my nano

substrate
leftover fluval ebi stratum, unsure if i'm going to try something different

ferts
old bottle of flourish comprehensive (using dry ferts for the nano gonna finish off the liquid in the new setup)

Finally the question...

i love the volume of the 30g but it seems to tall. since its mainly a plant only tank i want something i shove my hands in easily to prune trim scape.

i love the low rectangular height of the 20g, perfect height to work with my plants but i miss the extra 10g!

i'm torn.... would love to know what you guys think!

“Goodness is the only investment that never fails”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

for some reason my pic didn't upload.. but here's a pic my current tank taken today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (10).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	37735  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Dog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No question the 30G it is 6" longer and 6" wider.

30 Breeder 36 3/16" x 18 1/4" x 12 15/16"
20 Long 30 1/4" x 12 1/2" x 12 3/4"

The 30 breeder is only 3/16" taller.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thank you for pointing that out dog... i thought the height of a 30b was 18 1/4" not 12 15/16"... i was at the shop last night looking at tanks and the guy was showing me something totally different! plus when i did point to (what i know now is) a 30B in the shop he told me they don't make them anymore maye he was just trying to sell me what he had in stock.

it's so hard to visualize the space a tank needs without standing in front of one, but i think you've answered my question...30B all the way! only thing is where can i get one tonight?!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Dog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
They may have thought a 40 breeder was a 30 breeder

40 Breeder 36 3/16 x 18 1/4 x 16 15/16
50 Gallon 36 7/8 x 19 x 19 5/8

Good luck on your search, I don't know if I have ever seen a 30B in a store.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode