How to avoid fish jumping out on rimless tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
How to avoid fish jumping out on rimless tanks?

I was curious for you guys with rimless tanks (and don't use a top) do you guys do anything special to make sure fish don't jump out?

I ask because I have a 10.5 gallon rimless tank that looks a lot better without a top on but I keep having fish jump out. In the past it was siamese algae eaters, threadfin rainbows, and today I tried going with the top and my espei rasboro jumped out. Thankfully I got to him before he completely died and I think he'll make a recovery (he's swimming well back in his school).

I lowered the top of the water level from 1.5cm to 2cm and am going to try getting a lily pipe that pushes water from the front left to see if that makes a difference. The back of the tank has floating plants so it's just the front that is a concern.

I wonder how the iwagumi/ada styled tanks deal with fish not accidentally jumping out? I guess it matters on the type of fish in there (as the fish that have jumped out are known jumpers haha -- guess I answered my own question) but still I've seen setups with fish that can jump living in tanks with even higher water levels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
There is really no way of stopping fish or shrimp jumping out. I've had numerous celestial pearl danios, dward pencilfish, clown killifish(6 of them jumped out in two days), chili rasboras, and cherry shrimp jumping out and drying up. It is something you will have to live it unless you put a glass top/Stainless steel screen on top of it.

Two kinds of fish that doesn't jump in my experience are cardinal tetras and ember tetras.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I feel that floating plants will reduce the suicide rate. I had a thread going on ultimate beta about this, several there felt the same.
Aplomado and Aplomado like this.

Last edited by DogFish; 11-19-2011 at 01:10 AM.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I feel the same way. Floaters really help. I was wondering how they did that with rimless tanks though. You don;t see many floaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

This is one of the reasons I'm considering a 90g rimless rather than a 75g just so I can keep the water level 4-5 inches below the rim to prevent jumpers.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Save yourself the grief of losing beautiful fish and build a cover. See speedie408's DIY cover for a very nice implementation on a rimless (ADA 120-P) tank.

I use the same 1/4" pond netting that speedie408 is using, but I built my own "frame" using square acrylic rods......which did not turn out to be anywhere near as "clean" as I wanted it to look.

This is speaking from 4+ years of owning an ADA 120-P.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxl View Post
This is one of the reasons I'm considering a 90g rimless rather than a 75g just so I can keep the water level 4-5 inches below the rim to prevent jumpers.
I just got a 125gal for my turtles and keep it 6" below so its about 100gals so they don't climb out and I don't have to build a huge hood over it to keep them in.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

I have heard of people using a perforated acrylic cover, so air can exchange but at the same time stop any jumpers! Wire/ plastic mesh can be used also but may not stop suicidal shrimps.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It depends largely on what type of fish you stock. I've never had a fish jump out of an uncovered tank, but I did have an Amano shrimp climb out a year or so ago.

Something like a hatchetfish is a notorious jumper, while a bottom dwelling fish would probably never jump ship.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Aquarium View Post
I have heard of people using a perforated acrylic cover, so air can exchange but at the same time stop any jumpers! Wire/ plastic mesh can be used also but may not stop suicidal shrimps.
If you want a cover, I recommend a wire mesh similar to what speedie408 uses. Plastic or acrylic covers get water condensation and you have to clean them.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Even bottom dwellers can jump out. I had a cory go flying once, and only found him a couple of years later, behind the stand.

The best bet is not keeping known jumpers. And, I think the hyperactive fish are more likely to exit than more sedate ones. I had a Diamond Tetra jump out, and that is one very hyper fish.

Hoppy
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

I did this from July to September in my 8g:

Pictured above is the 8g in mid July this year.

That's just a strip of black mounting board wrapped around the first inch of the tank's rim and secured with hot-melt adhesive. It would have probably looked better if I actually took the time to do it properly, but this was a rapid response to my CAE which jumped out a day after the lone zebra danio female jumped out and dried up (CAE survived, but now I gotta get rid of him...).

Bonus: it reduced the glare from the lighting and made the content of the tank more prominent and it tells me easily if I need to top up the water.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The best bet is not keeping known jumpers.
So that leaves us with....guppies, plecos, and cardinals?

Hehehe jk Hoppy.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Well, I'm not building a rimless tank and then going to put a lid or net over it. Honestly, whats the point then of having a rimless tank.

Don't put notorious jumpers in the tank. Those rare flying corys, nominate them for Darwin awards and peal them out of the carpet.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
It's our job as fishkeepers to keep the fish safe. Same as you find a way to keep your dog confined in your yard, you need to find a way to keep the fish confined to their tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode