Fake driftwood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Fake driftwood?

I've been searching for that perfect peice of driftwood for a while now, and I'm becoming really frustrated. All of the fish stores in my area suck really bad, and none of them have any driftwood that I would consider for my tank. I also find it impossible to talk myself into buying a peice of driftwood from an online shop. However, the shops in my area do carry quite an abundance of fake driftwood, most of which is of the exact size and shape that I'm looking for. Could I get something like Java moss to attach to fake driftwood, and most importantly, for those of you out there using fake driftwood, does it look that much different from the real deal once it's submerged and in the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
Whats fake driftwood?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

Old 03-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
He's probably talking about that platic-looking fake stuff. I don't think java fern/moss will attach to that, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming
Whats fake driftwood?

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Old 03-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Moss will have a hard time cling to the plastic surface. Unlike rocks, which may look smooth, but has small pores of holes that plants can anchor onto, plastic drift wood does not. It's not impossible, just much harder than real wood.

You could try wrap the artificial wood with moss and fishing lines. If they could not get a good anchor on the surface, at least they will be able to hold onto the gap between the fishing line and the plastic surface.

I helped a guy with plastic reef rocks and macro algae (caulerpa sp.). Even though caulerpa after a while seems to be anchoring, but accidental bump or strong current will knock them off. The only algae that made to the surface is calcarious coralline algae, which isn't an option for FW tanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:11 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The world is full of wood, surely you have lakes and streams in PA to go poking through in search of a "unique" piece to use in your tank ?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Planted Member

Petsmart and Petsmart.com has fake driftwood. They look fairly real I had a large piece in my 55g. Everyone thought it was real wood. Now that I have converted this tank to a planted tank, I took out this fake drift wood and put in some real Malaysian bogwood.

I do not know if plants will attach to it. Best thing about fake stuff is that it will not discolor your water or change water chemistry.

Picture from Petsmart.com:

Old 03-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wanna know a secret

ALL of the anubias is FIRMLY growing on a fake petsmart rock

Old 03-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Fake? Do you mean like wally world fake? Well, I don't like real drift wood ether. So I use Porcelain but not plastic. I could never get real drift wood to quit leeching out yellow stuff. I tried soaking it out, scrubing it out and boiling but I still got ring around the collar.:-)

But I make the fake stuff look ok, here is a pic
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If confession is good for the soul, here's mine, just bought it a few days ago from the LFS, or rather traded green stuff for it. I like it, and I think it will look very nice when in the tank once it get's a bit of algae on it and surround by live plants. Wondering about using the hollow part to plant something in, but I'm not sure what yet.

I draw the line at plastic plants though.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Javamoss attaches firmly to my HOB filter intake which is a plastic pipe, no doubt in my mind it will attach to fake driftwood. I wouldn't use it but that's just my personal pref for natural stuff.

Just be careful you get something that is meant to be under water, not the terrarium decorations. Some of the fake ornaments can leach out poisonous substances as some people (their fish) found out.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good advice, in Petsmart at least they have identical pieces, one for fish, one for reptiles.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:48 PM

hey tony, is there a place i can see other pics of your 29 gal? whith all of the shadowing, it's hard to tell what it would look like in your house on a normal basis.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

I've had java fern grow and multiply on the sides of an aquarium. When I finally took down the tank, I had to scrape the roots off the glass with a razor blade, and it wasn't easy.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Buck is right, the world is full of wood. I'm going to go find me a peice of driftwood right now!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:10 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thumbs up What I bought Today

Since we're still frozen and under a new batch of snow here, now is no time to hunt wood! I got this fab piece on eBay for $12.00 for my new 46gal bowfront. I find lots of cool driftwood here.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Figs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in