I know nothing... want to get started! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know nothing... want to get started!

So here's the deal. I have a 10 gallon aquarium I would like to turn into a planted tank. I have a few questions...

Do I need to worry about this co2 injection stuff in such a tiny tank? It seems intimidating and expensive lol...

What about filtration? How much filtration is needed in a planted tank?

I have a half a bag of that black Flourite stuff, how deep should the substrate be? Can I mix it with sand or gravel?

When it comes to lighting I know that watts seem to be important, do you just use regular aquarium lights? Are there things like UVA or anything that I need to look for?

I'm sure all these questions have been asked before, I'm just a little overwhelmed... Any startup advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Planted Member

I would suggest searching the forum for "10 gallon" in thread titles and looking at their setups.

Plant tanks and grow well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikardob View Post
I would suggest searching the forum for "10 gallon" in thread titles and looking at their setups.

I have been. I was hoping for some quick answers... but I guess I'll just keep looking

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

You do not need Co2...though it can be fun for faster plant growth. For a 10 gallon aquarium a simple DIY Co2 system will help you get your feet wet. It's simple, no need for intimidation. 2 liter bottle 3/4 full of water, add 2 cups sugar, add 1/2 teaspoon yeast, drill small hole in cap, stick tubing through said hole as to make an airtight fit, put air stone on end of tube...bam Co2. Read up in the DIY section. Here is a nice setup...little complicated, but youll get the idea...https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...co2-setup.html

Planted tanks don't require as much filtration as non planted. That said, it's hard to have too much filtration. A powerhead fitted with a sponge will do, as will a Wal-Mart 5-15 hang on back filter. Use whatever you would use for a regular aquarium...except under gravel filters...for obvious reasons. Oh...and once you get going stay away from replacing carbon packets...planted tanks don't need them, plus the carbon takes away things plants like. You can use a carbon packet that comes with most HOB...just don't ever replace it.

You can use the Flourite alone or with sand/rocks. Commonly substrate is between 2-3 inches, though opinions vary. Read me... https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...pros-cons.html

Lighting is tricky...don't stress about wattage. Does this tank have a hood? Does said hood have light receptacles? If so go buy a pair of low wattage "daylight" CFLs (6500k should be on the box somewhere) and your good to go. A pair of 10w CFLs might even be too much light. If it's got a florescent tube style hood, just get a plant and aquarium light and that will work fine. Think outside the box...check this out for instance.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...-solution.html

Good luck...I also stole a lot of ideas by reading peoples build logs....found here...https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...s-photo-album/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can also use Excel if you don't want to mess with Co2, even the DIY version. On that small of a tank Excel would be very affordable.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Daximus- Thank you so much. Very helpful, I will read through all the links you posted!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
@Daximus- Thank you so much. Very helpful, I will read through all the links you posted!
No problems...we have all been there. I was about 2 months ago, lol. 've always had aquariums...but never planted. It's a whole 'nother world.

Nice thing is this forum has everything you need to learn...read first, then ask, then buy. This forum has saved me hundreds of dollars.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@seedreemer- That Excel stuff looks great! Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
No problems...we have all been there. I was about 2 months ago, lol. 've always had aquariums...but never planted. It's a whole 'nother world.

Nice thing is this forum has everything you need to learn...read first, then ask, then buy. This forum has saved me hundreds of dollars.
So much info on here, amazing...

I am so excited to get this set up! My husband will be grumbling... He said when I got my 100 gallon tank a few months ago that was the last aquarium I could set up. Oops! lol...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
So much info on here, amazing...

I am so excited to get this set up! My husband will be grumbling... He said when I got my 100 gallon tank a few months ago that was the last aquarium I could set up. Oops! lol...
Don't do it!!!!

Hear my words...once you plant the 10 gallon your going to plant the 100. I went from a 20 as a goof, then my 30, now I just bought a 90 and I'm in the process of building it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
do some research start here
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
You do not need Co2...though it can be fun for faster plant growth. For a 10 gallon aquarium a simple DIY Co2 system will help you get your feet wet. It's simple, no need for intimidation. 2 liter bottle 3/4 full of water, add 2 cups sugar, add 1/2 teaspoon yeast, drill small hole in cap, stick tubing through said hole as to make an airtight fit, put air stone on end of tube...bam Co2. Read up in the DIY section. Here is a nice setup...little complicated, but youll get the idea...https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...co2-setup.html

Planted tanks don't require as much filtration as non planted. That said, it's hard to have too much filtration. A powerhead fitted with a sponge will do, as will a Wal-Mart 5-15 hang on back filter. Use whatever you would use for a regular aquarium...except under gravel filters...for obvious reasons. Oh...and once you get going stay away from replacing carbon packets...planted tanks don't need them, plus the carbon takes away things plants like. You can use a carbon packet that comes with most HOB...just don't ever replace it.

You can use the Flourite alone or with sand/rocks. Commonly substrate is between 2-3 inches, though opinions vary. Read me... https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...pros-cons.html

Lighting is tricky...don't stress about wattage. Does this tank have a hood? Does said hood have light receptacles? If so go buy a pair of low wattage "daylight" CFLs (6500k should be on the box somewhere) and your good to go. A pair of 10w CFLs might even be too much light. If it's got a florescent tube style hood, just get a plant and aquarium light and that will work fine. Think outside the box...check this out for instance.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...-solution.html

Good luck...I also stole a lot of ideas by reading peoples build logs....found here...https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...s-photo-album/
My lighting thread was quoted! haha, good to see people are finding that useful.

Anyway- I would give DIY co2 a try. In a tank that size it would be pretty easy to get good levels out of it, and your plants will grow much faster than without. If your not into fast growth and trimming, then go with a low tech set-up and dose excell once in a while to help it along.

Excellent advise given above, and I'll second the comment about the filtration. Just be sure you have enough flow in the tank to distribute nutrients and co2 (If you use it) to the plants evenly. I started my 30 gallon with a walmart HOB meant for a 10g tank... had no problems once it was planted heavily.

Good luck with the tank and have fun with it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode