Custom stand price? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Custom stand price?

I've been looking for a stand for a 75 gal tank. I have not found any stands that I like at any LFSs, so I've emailed a couple local cabinet makers to see about getting a custom stand made.

This is about what I'm looking for (minus the hood):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6240/...dbf6d1_o_d.jpg

48" long, 18" deep, 35" high.

How much do you think something like this should cost?

I don't know anything about custom cabinets so I need to know what a reasonable price is before I talk to the cabinet-makers.

Thanks a bunch,
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some woods cost more than others. You may want to discuss that with the builder. Other than that I have no idea what the labor would be. Are you going to finish it or will the Cabinet Maker?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
When I built mine for my 40B out of red oak plywood, trim, and face materials (2x4 underframe) i would estimate i spent aorund $200 on lumber and another 30-40 on misc materials.

Total build cost for me was around $500 (INCLUDING circular saw, router, work bench, etc!! so hardly even counts because i'll have that until I'm an old man as I bought QUALITY products with good deals, a hardware store going out of business, etc) and took me a few weeks of working a couple hours a night and a couple of saturdays. see my journal for an idea.

compare that work and cost vs the quotes you get...... stay away from particle board or MDF ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Obviously you can buy a finely crafted, furniture quality, hardwood stand, and pay $1000 for it. Or, you can buy a 2 x 4 framed stand with an inexpensive plywood shell, and simple flat plywood doors, made by a typical DIYer, for $200. And, what someone charges is negotiable, so I don't think you will find a typical price for any aquarium stand. Just decide how much it will be worth to you, then try to mate that number with someone who can make it.

Hoppy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Thanks

Thanks for your replies.

Doc7 that stand you made is beautiful! It's good to know how much supplies cost for a DIY stand. I wish I had the ability/temperament to DIY it.

ErikO-- I hadn't considered finishing it myself, that's a good idea. I'll ask about that.

Hoppy- good advice.

I still haven't heard back from the cabinet-makers that I contacted. I may just have to go back to monitoring craigslist for the perfect used stand.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

Have you tried looking at office furniture companies, they make strong units for commercial use which you can then modify with a jigsaw. I got a 500mm x 500mm x 720mm for about £100, cut a few holes for piping etc and job done. Just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
35" high is perfect. I hate how low the stock stands are. I guess they're fine if you're 5ft tall or like the top-down view of your tank. But for ppl over 6' they're at stomach level when you're standing.

I went to a few welders and priced a tall custom metal stand for a 55g a while back. got 3 quotes between 150-200. I'd guess at least a hundred more than that for a nice finished stand.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keep a look out online for a used one too. I got this whole setup for $300. Took me waiting 5 months till a good deal came along though. The tank alone new would have cost me $275. Instead I got a 125 gal tank, sump, pump, stand, lights. Sold my Eheim filter I was going to use for $140, so cost came down to $160. Spend $30 in supplies to replumb and replace bulkheads. $190 total.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Planted Member

Being a custom furniture maker myself, it all comes down to what lumber and how fancy you want it.

I can tell you a solid oak (no plywood) would run about $300, but again that is solid oak. Now you take it to veneered plywood and faceplate it and make the doors out of solid oak you are looking at $100. This is just for custom built DIY - if I were to build it for someone:

Solid Oak: $1000
Veneered: $800

The concept of a stand is quite simple really. You need to look at how much you need to support. 75 gallon aquarium filled with water weighs 600lbs, then to be on the safe side say 400 lbs for gravel, soil, and possibly a canopy. This may seem excessive - but always good to over build is what I say.

So you are looking at supporting 1000 lbs. It may seem like a lot, but you'd be surprised how much lumber can support (length wise, not flat). I would say 5 sides would be plenty, 3/4" thick. This would make for your cabinets. Then a piece on top and bottom and voila. Now, if you want to plan for any possibility here is what I recommend and what I have planned out for my 100 gallon.

Build a 2x4 frame, all long pieces sitting on support pieces, never support pieces holding long pieces. Build 4 walls for supports, then veneer, build doors, voila. It'll hold a heck of a lot more weight than you can throw at it.

In the end, for a stand, unless you can find a great deal: DIY! Don't buy particle board crap or pay outrageous amounts for nice stuff. Now - I can understand if you don't have the ability (tools, space, etc) to build your own - in which case having one built is going to be your best bet or finding a used one.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I went through the process with a custom furniture builder (in Seattle) a few months back. I really tried to talk myself into something else, but you cannot compare a pre-fab or my hack-job DIY stands to a nice piece of furniture built by a pro with 30 years experience.

This is for my 120P and measures 48"x18"x40". I did not cut any corners and while the expense didn't hit 4 figures, it wasn't cheap!

Design is loosely based on ADA/Jason Baliban's DIY Stand but:
- 3/4" Beech Plywood, finished with 3+ coats Valspar lacquer
- Utilizes some unique cross bracing to permit maximum room underneath + No center brace <--- this is a major advantage if you are running lots of equipment
- Fully adjustable euro style hinges (surprisingly expensive)
- Custom holes for filter pipes (sides) and electrical (rear)
- A bunch of small custom touches that I requested

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Before reading any other posts, I'd have said about a grand.
We priced a cabinet builder built bookcase. Nothing fancy for us, but the lowest estimate was over $1300. The cabinet builders all did incredible work but apparently a lot of people I don't know, make a lot more money than I do.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I build acoustic panels that are less extensive than making a stand, but you need a lot of them so it probably takes the same amount of time/effort. I really don't do it as a business, usually it is an opportunity for me to make some money while helping a fellow musician.

I bring this up because they are too expensive to ship. If you buy them commercially, they are extremely overpriced. I do have friends all over the country that want these but don't have the ability to make them on their own, nor can afford the inflated price from an acoustic company selling essentially insulation, furniture grade plywood, and some burlap.

What I have found is that almost everyone has a neighbor, friend, friend of a friend, etc, who can easily make just about anything and usually could use some extra money. You may want to explore that as you could save a bunch of money and help someone out.

-Matt

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Keep shopping around kitchen cabinets can go from 6000-7000 up 15000 for the same type and wood. It can all depend on quality of work. How it is built.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't know if you are still thinking of ready made, but I just bought a cabinet that looks pretty much the same as what you are looking for, and the same size 48 X 18. I paid $539. It is the Aqueon Mission style, but I think it only comes in the cherry stain. It's pictured below. The cabinet is 34" tall, interior height is 29".
Attached Images

Marilyn
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
.... Just decide how much it will be worth to you, then try to mate that number with someone who can make it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode