The long journey ahead for my next planted tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation The long journey ahead for my next planted tank!

Hello everyone. ive been reading posts on here for a long time now, itching to setup another planted tank. now after moving into a room at the pub i work in, i have the space to do so.

The Plan:
im going to order a custom made optiwhite rimless tank. 24"L x 20"W x 12" or 10" high (thoughts?)
lighting is an OT1 arcadia luminaire 2x24w with plant bulbs.
filter would preferably be an ehiem with built in heater (will consider non heated with a hydor 300, advise?)
stand will be custom built by myself with mouting for an arcadia suspension kit
substrate im thinking eco complete as its cheap. 10kg enough? or any other cheap options you feel would be better?
Co2, im considering presurised, but would like to try easy carbo. worth a try or full kit all the way?
hardscape would be rock and thin roots. not sure what i want yet but may for for a 20kg pack of mini landscape. no idea on wood, may have to see what you lot can offer on here.
Fish, i would like a shoal of small fish to make to tank look bigger, maybe celestrial danios or chili rasboras. do they school well?
plants are still being pondered on but love DHG, so it shall be included.
All will be put into an aqua journal for all to enjoy, hopefully as much as i have enjoyed reading yours.
its going to be a long and expensive few months of setup(and waiting for the tank to be built, which im hoping to order next week).
help and advise more than welcome.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
that should be a nice size tank, manageable volume with good dimensions for a scape! That's really low though, after substrate you might only have a few inches of water in some areas?

That sounds like High Output bulbs, how high above the tank are you suspending them?

also would love to see where you're getting the custom tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes HO! its the arcadia. havnt decided on height yet. trial and error was the plan. i can change the dimensions. just wanted something different. might go higher and have a 15" but havnt got a tape measure to see what it would look like. currently have a rena 24x12x15? maybe. just want a new one as it has dirty black silicone i was going to use posiadian? aquariums, quoted something like £125 for all optiwhite but the base and rear glass. looks like they could be good. trying to see if anyone has used them before?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

been looking into the co2 system thisevening. saw the tmc with solenoid on aquaessentials. what do you think? and advise on the bottle? would need to fit into the stand. but as the stand would custom could go to 45" if needed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sadly money is tight this week so going to have to buy something inexpensive. May buy some glass ware or get my tool collection started.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bought a sand flattening tool. What to buy next week....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh god. How things have change in the aquarium world! Took at look at the eheim 2074e. Was thinking, using that combined with the tmc led lights and the 8 way controller plus a rain maker would be better cool. Storm function with rain would so nice to watch. Maybe one day . Would need to go down the ph controller route for the co2 tho. And would want to make it in line so it wasn't I'm the tank. Thoughts?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Trial and error with a drop checker w/ proper 4 dkh fluid could be OK for your co2 as well.

You might be able to save some electricity and hassle by using normal output bulbs for that low of a tank - see some threads in lighting

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well if I go down the led route and use the 2074e I'll probably go for a higher maybe 20-24" tank. Maybe 36x20x20? Only reason for the probe would be the lighting set by the tmc controller not a plug timer and the rain causing more water disturbance when on. So ph controller would adjust for this right?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok sadly money has become an issue so I popped over to mothers to pick up my arcadia 35l and my 35cm optiwhite cube planning on setting up the Arcadia asap. Not worried about anything being external as I hate the look of the tank anyway. So setup should be cheap and quick as I have the light n heater. Just need the filter £10ish and the substrate, hardscape and plants. May add another light tho the cube tho is what I really look forward to setting up, thinking of using the tmc mini 400 with controller. External filter with glass lily pipes and pressure co2. Over the next month the aqua journal should begin. Wish me luck!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's payday so I bought a tmc refillable co2 tank 567g. It looks hot just the regulator, diffuser, tubing and solenoid for that system. Will hopefully get a filter and substrate for the Arcadia ordered today. Maybe some hardscape aswell. Then next week plants

Tags
new aquarium, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode