Please Don't Think This is Stupid.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please Don't Think This is Stupid....

Is it possible to have too much filtration on a planted tank?? I have an Eheim canister filter ( 3 levels of substrate-can't remember the model number). I will be adding a Pangea background ( the in tank 3-D backgrounds) to my 90 Gal, with sand as a substrate. I read you can put BioBalls behind it for extra biological filtration.
Is it possible to have too much filtration? I don't want to affect my plant growth ( I will be doing 1.8 WPG with no CO2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Valid questions are in no way stupid, as the saying goes, the only stupid question is one never asked.

To be sure, if you're tank is planted heavily enough, in my experience no bio filtration aside from what naturally occurs without media is needed. It is my understanding that plants will consume most fish waste before it even hits the cycle. I never have had measurable nitrites in my tank, and I have to dose to keep nitrates up.

I use mechanical filtration only, nary a problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
I would stay away from carbon. It will remove some of the nutrients that plants use. Use carbon for short spurts if you wish to remove a color or and odor.
jB

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
Ditto on the carbon part...if you are using any in the filter...

as far as biological filteration...like glass-gardens( sorry can't remember your name..lol ) said the plants will consume most of the gunk before the bacteria colony has a chance to hit it....and as a result some of the bacteria will die off and downsize in size...even if you have additional bio balls etc...

besides your filter and bio balls...the bateria also lives on the plant surface...

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:22 PM

Dr J, where are you getting that background? Is it really expensive?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

They are pretty expensive for a background. I've seen some DIY ones that look nice, but I would spend more repairing what I break trying to save money. I think the one I got was around $269

http://www.aquarium-background.com/manual.asp

[IMG]Amazonas Background[/IMG]
http://www.pangeashop.com/product.as...uct=761&page=1

But as someone put it in another thread, if you compare it to what we spend on tank, CO2, ......it probably seems reasonable. Besides it looks gorgeous and adds so much depth and reality to the tank. I'm also going to put all equipment behind it. Including BioBalls for extra filtration if people on here think I should. Or not if people think it would be too much.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Planted Member

I really dont think it is possible to have too much filtration. You can definitely have the wrong kind of filtration though. Like the carbon packs in a planted tank. or an undergravel..(although i have debated tinkering with those in the past) the cleaner, more stable your water, the better the environment for the fish. keep in mind that it is posible to keep a beautiful tank with virtually no equipment or you can get every technogadget on the planet for fish keeping. so the question really is do you like the simple approach or do you like tinkering with equipment?

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I have had saltwater fish for a few years, so I know about natural filtration...and unfortunately about tinkering too.
I'm going to run my Eheim canister, and also, if rational, the BioBalls behind the background. No Carbon.

Is there any sign in the plants that there is too much filtration from other sources? Or will the plants take what they need first?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode