Feeding amanos, otos - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Feeding amanos, otos

My 40B currently has 4 Otos, 6 Cardinal Tetras (to be 11 when 5 more finish QT), and 8 amano shrimp. There will also eventually be 12 pygmy cories.

I currently feed a pinch a day of food to the Cardinals, and though they haven't been in there a week yet, I plan on feeding the Otos with Romaine lettuce slices 1-2x a week. (i fed them romaine every day of quarantine for a month)

I have 2 questions:

1) Will the lettuce slices feed the snails more than the otos? I have a sneaky suspicion that the snail will be devouring it while the Otos didn't touch it in QT until it had been in the tank for over 24 hours. Blanching didn't help with this. Wondering if I'll see a snail population explosion...

2) Is crumbling up some algae wafers and dropping them in once in a while OK for the shrimp? I guess this is how the cories will be fed too. Again probably a snail feeder more than anything...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been reading that Zucchini is the best thing to feed Otos.

Not entirely sure about the amanos because my have had enough algae to keep them going. However, today I threw some tiny pellets in for the rummys and rams and two of the shrimp jumped onto the gravel to pick up a pellet! I didn't realize they would eat fish food but hey, whatever works!

I think I used to have sinking pellets for cories when I had some, I suppose they could feed the shrimp too?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 AM
Planted Member

In my tank the otos eat off the plants, glass substrate etc. They completely ignore the algae tabs. The amanos love them though, once the tab hits the water they swim from wherever they are and fight each other for it, so I now break it up into smaller chunks and spread them out. I do this twice a week as they eat from the tank itself also

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Cories will eat whatever flake foods fall to the bottom. They also love shrimp pellets. They may nibble at algae wafers but algae is not their main diet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I feed my cories shrimp pellets also. The fluval kind that comes with the ebi they're a good price and there's millions in there haha. I've never fed any of my otos and they're all fat as can be. My Amano shrimp will tackle fish away from their flakes or steal shrimp pellets right out of their mouths haha
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My otos like a slice of raw cucumber. I weigh it down by sticking one of the plant weights that you get when you purchase stem plants in the side of the slice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks for the advice on what to feed them. I've discovered mine like romaine that best and even carrots.

My question regarding oto feeding was more or less how I keep the snails off the food, or from multiplying rapidly given the presence of all that food?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode