New CO2 system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New CO2 system

I have a 55 gallon, now is finally very well planted I have a layer of laterite and weekly I put some liquid micronutrients, iron and K, I have a 2,5 G/w light system. I have been using the yeast co2 system for a few months until past week when the co2 decided not to work anymore so the PH went up and my fish start dieing.
Yesterday I lost my dear Colisa Lalia. So after some sadness I decided give up the messy 2 litter’s bottles with liking and buy a real co2 system.
Yesterday I purchased a JBJ regulator with a solenoid and a Milwaukee CO2/PH controller actually I both the Kit at aquariumplant.com. I'm very excited to get it on the mail. Anyway my question is now what???
I found a place locally where I can buy the cylinder and refill it.
But I fill that I don't know enough to put everything together so I need some guidance.

How I set it up? What kind of settings should I have? What about the KH, I know that the PH controller will keep the PH leveled. But what about the KH how should I keep it stabilized?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:24 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just set it up

Each piece comes with an instruction pamphlet....it is really straight forward, but:

1. Get a GH test kit, then go to www.rexgrigg.com (under the CO2 section) and find the GH/PH chart to determine what your PH meter should be set to in order to keep you CO2 ppm to 15-30.

2. Calibrate the PH sensor with the supplied 7.01 and 4.01 calibration fluid.

3. Somehow affix the PH sensor into your tank. Do not fully sumberge the sensor- only the bottom 3rd of the sensor is water proof.

4. Install the timer into your power outlet. I run a power strip off of the timer, so the whole power strip goes on/off based on the timer.

5. Plug the PH meter power-controller into the power strip, then plug power cord from the soleniod into the PH meter power-controller - set the PH on the Milwaukie controller based on the results of #1 above.

6. Assemble the solenoid (attach the tubing and bubble counter) and install it onto the CO2 canister - MAKE SURE YOU USE TEFLON TAPE...or it will leak.

7. Assemble the reactor and install into your tank. Run the tubing from the soleniod to the reactor in the tank. Plug the power cord from the reactor pump into the power strip

Turn the SOB on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The first best choice to go for support of a new purchase is the place you bought it from to avoid any potential conflict between what is said here and what they may tell you. Someone there will be glad to walk you through it on the phone if needed I'm sure.That being said, here we go:

1) Get your controller set up:

a) Remove the rubber cap from the controller probe and thoroughly rinse the crud off with distilled water, connect it to the controller, when (not yet though) you put in your tank, try to keep the water line at or below the black collar on the probe, it's water resistant, not water proof at the point the cable goes into the probe.

b) Connect the AC adapter to the controller, and plug the controller into an outlet that is on24/7.

c) Plug the controlled outlet into an outlet that again is on 24/7

d) Turn the controller on and place the probe into the packet of 7.01 calibration solution, let it set for a mnute or so and turn the controller on.

e) Using the screwdriver included with the unit and the adjustment screw on the FRONT of the unit, adjust the pH reading on the controller to 7. Do not touch the adjustment screw on the back of the unit. Turn the unit off.

2)Connect your regulator to the CO2 cylinder:

a) Connect the regulator to the CO2 cylinder, making sure to use one of the included washers between the cyclinder and regulator, don't use teflon tape on the threads, just screw it onto the cylinder and CRANK DOWN AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN !

b) Plug the regulator solenoid valve into the controlled outlet of the controller.

c) Turn the gas valve on, opening it until it hits the stops, this is to ensure there is no leak at the valve itself. Use a soap solution to check the connection for leaks at the cylinder.

d) Unscrew the bubble counter cap and fill approx. 2/3 full of water (I use tap water, some use distilled, other's use a special fluid, the choice is yours really, water works fine for most) and replace the cap.

e) Unscrew the retaining collar on the compression fitting on top of the bubble counter and slip it over the end of your CO2 tubing, slip the tubing over the nipple and screw the collar back down snug. Connect the other end to whatever you're using to inject the CO2 into the tank.

3) Operation:

a) Make sure the needle valve on the regulator is closed, place the probe into your tank, don't submerse it beyond the black collar (water resistant, not water proof), usually somewhere so it's in the out flow stream of your filter, I put mine about 2' from it.

b) Turn the controller on, and using the numbers on the control dial as a general reference, set the dial slightly above your desired pH level and set the bubble rate as desired with the needle valve, how fast depends on your water and injection method, I suggest a slow rate at first, maybe 1 every two seconds to avoid rapid dropping of the pH at first and tweak it from there as needed.

d) an alternate method is to turn the pH down until the controller kicks in and turn it back up a bit and let it set like that until it kicks off, and repeat until you hit your desired pH level.

Hope that helps, but like I said, don't hesitate to call AP, someone there will be glad to walk you through it I'm sure if this isn't clear enough or PM me and I'll be glad to give you my number and help you as well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbohart
Install the timer into your power outlet. I run a power strip off of the timer, so the whole power strip goes on/off based on the timer
Do not run an automated system on a timer, automated systems are designed to run 24/7, turning them off at night will result in pH swings the controller is designed to elimnate.

Quote:
6. Assemble the solenoid (attach the tubing and bubble counter) and install it onto the CO2 canister - MAKE SURE YOU USE TEFLON TAPE...or it will leak
Do not use teflon tape on the connection between the regulator and tank, it may flake off and get into the regulator.

And it won't stop leaks. The ONLY seal between the regulator and tank are the mating surfaces, teflon tape does not seal the connection, only the washer does. If your connection leaks, tighten it more, and don't be afraid to torque it. It may feel like your overtightening it, your not, I have never had anyone over tighten theirs, I'm sure it can be done but it needs to be tight.

I don't mean to argue with you but these are some very common misconceptions that are routinely addressed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
2. Calibrate the PH sensor with the supplied 7.01 and 4.01 calibration fluid.
According to all the latest stuff I've read and the little piece of paper that comes with the controllers, don't calibrate with the 4.01 fluid, don't play with the slope.

Your target pH range is probably somewhere between 6.8 and 7.2 so it makes sense to keep the controller accurate around that range only...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
The first best choice to go for support of a new purchase is the place you bought it from to avoid any potential conflict between what is said here and what they may tell you. Someone there will be glad to walk you through it on the phone if needed I'm sure.That being said, here we go:

1) Get your controller set up:

etc. etc.
I just want to thank you glass gardens for that guide. Because I live where people don't speak English too good sometimes, it was hard for me to work out what to do, you're guide was perfect for me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here's a good pic of a setup, though it's lacking the controller:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...o2-system.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM

pbo its KH/PH chart not GH/PH to get co2 readings

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode