Deep tank ?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Deep tank ??

Hey guys, I have come to the experts for opinion/advice. Hubby found a tank on craigslist, needs a few things but I have most everything from other setups. The dimensions threw me off as it doesn't seem to fit any standard tank size. It's 36" x 24" x 27" based on the calculator it's 100 gal. My concern is the height and planting. Obviously I would need new lighting as mine wouldn't work but could I get away with the dome work lights on a tank so deep? Anything else I should know before I decide to go this big? My current tank is a standard 40 gal. Price is awesome at only $50 just don't want to jump without knowing what I am jumping into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)
In my opinion you could get away with the clamp on lights. I would be sure to get a high wattage cfl though, i think they make 26 watters. I have 4 dome on top of my 36" 30 g tank with 19w cfl's and the substrates well lit. I'd jump on the deal!
Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Personally I think any tank that deep is a pain to scape. The human arm is only so long and even though you can use long tools it gets uncomfortable pretty quick. In short it's not fun to plant. You'll notice most scaped tanks are 18" or less in height. Not to say you can't do it, just that it get's old fast. You also have to drive more light to that depth and tall tanks don't have as much plant mass to help with the extra light. One think I would recommend is do a scape on a stick. And what I mean is go low light and fine some tall driftwood and attach ferns and moss. In addition since the plants are mainly on the wood they would be easier to reach or remove when you need to trim or rearrange.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I agree with the previous poster, that the disadvantage would be that it would be difficult to reach the bottom of the tank and especially at the back, unless it were situated where you could get access to all sides. I think it could look awesome scaped with a lot of driftwood and plants growing on the wood, though.

It would be great for angelfish, with all that height!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I totally agree with houseofcards, I'm in the process of replacing my 21 inch deep bowfront with a 9 inch tall tank. I have to be up to my armpits in water when I'm scaping and it's very hard to see what I'm doing having to be so close to the glass.... big ol' pita!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The distance from the front top of the tank to the rear bottom of the tank will be 36 inches! Unless you have arms that long - if you do, the NBA would welcome a phone call - you will be forever frustrated trying to do anything in the tank, from leveling the substrate, to planting, to pruning, to picking out dead fauna, to cleaning the substrate, etc. But, to answer your question, you can easily find lights adequate for the tank - at a price, of course.

Hoppy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have 110g (48x18x30). I do agree with the others but if I had to get another tank I would definitely miss how tall the tank is. I use T5's and they work great. I am very lucky that I'm tall and have long arms. I would be a pain if I were short because like others side when your trying to plant you would end up head first. I can't recommend any other lights but T5's not saying that others don't work. I just never had any others on a tall tank. If you have any questions let me know.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
one big thing with tall tanks, is how how it is with the stand, if you can stand over the top edge and work down, it makes things a ton easier!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
At that price I'd go for it as a tank that tall of 100 gallons would be gorgeous! Especially if you're not into rescaping a lot. I don't rescape much and while I find my 21-1/2 inch 75g to be a pain right now, I know once I've finalized things it'll stay this way for years.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well for one, I am short lol. Even planting in the 40 gal. I have to change shirts haha. I think in this I would need a swimsuit. If I go for it, hubby will build me a stand as it doesn't come with one. I could actually have him build it in a way that wouldd make it easier. I just started planting so I am rearranging a lot. I don't plan to contantly rescape if I can help it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Deep tanks look awesome !!!!
The are a VERY big P.I.T.A. to landscape and clean.

Whether the extra effort is worth it is something only you can decide. Personally I will never have another tank that is not 24+" deep.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
I just upgraded from a 55g to a 105g 4'L x 2'D x 21"H. I anticipated not being able to get in and do much once the tank was set up. My suggestion would be to have an idea of what you are going to want, long term (I know it's hard to do as we are constantly wanting to change the scape or do something differently), then heavily plant the thing before filling it. The custom, lower, stand would be nice also. I wish my stand was lower, it would make it much easier to get into. The way mine is, I'm up to my shoulders to be able to get to the sub in the front, and cannot even get to the back 8" to plant a single thing. I love it though, and wouldn't trade it for a 55g if my life depended on it Good luck, and don't forget to show us some pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggieschick View Post
Well for one, I am short lol. Even planting in the 40 gal. I have to change shirts haha. I think in this I would need a swimsuit. If I go for it, hubby will build me a stand as it doesn't come with one. I could actually have him build it in a way that wouldd make it easier. I just started planting so I am rearranging a lot. I don't plan to contantly rescape if I can help it.
I do too with my 40b, lol. In fact, I'm redoing it today (unusual for me) and am seriously considering just stripping down to my undies. Who needs a swimming pool when you're short and have aquariums to maintain??

A Mag-Float will help you keep the glass clean if you don't already know about them. Way easier than scraping by hand on a deep tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I plant in my 150 tall its not that bad with a good set of tools. I'm in there almost daily.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode