Seeding sponge filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Seeding sponge filter?

I always just cut a bit of old sponge from a cycled tank and add to new filter. But what about a brand new sponge filter?

I put the sponge filter running in a mature tank. How long till I can add it to my shrimp tank? The shrimp tank has been running for months so I know that tank has the good Bactria growing. It's just this brand new sponge filter?

A week should be fine right? Or maybe 5 days?

80gal planted Angelfish community.
100gal SA cichlid, Silver dollar, and delhezi. No plants!
36 gal Planted Swordtail community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think I understand your question, but you can put the new filter in the running shrimp tank and let that tank's bacteria seed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(defunct)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
same tank another approach (defunct)

same tank now

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Running a new sponge in an cycled tank will "seed" the new sponge right away. There is no more or less to seeding the filter media. I would say to let it run an hour more as a system check i.e.. flow, fit, leveling, vibration etc.

Once seeded the bacteria will establish based on their food source...PERIOD.

HOWEVER, a seeded filter is not an established filter, don't push the envelope to hard. We get in trouble with ammonia spikes, because the bio-filter is over loaded.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I put the sponge in a 100 gal tank with large south American cichlids. So the amount of Bactria in that tank is much more then in my tiny shrimp tank.

I was readering some people leave new sponges in established tanks for 2weeks+ to make sure there is good growth. Some said 2-3 days.

I think I will move the sponge tonight it will have been in the cichlid tank for 24 hr. then I will take the old filter I have with the shrimp now and rise it in a bucket the. Swish the sponge around in that bucket. After that I will add it to the tank.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM
amp
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
I do a similar thing with sponge filters, mainly the ATI type. I put them on a powerhead I have running in my pond and let them run for a few days. They get some nice funk on them and seem to be good to go after a good rinsing in some treated water. 2 or 3 days should be fine if your running it off a powerhead since your moving a good amount of water through it, but it may take longer to get going if your just running it with an air stone.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have a power head I could rig up. Thanks.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
You can only maintain a culture of bacteria at a level that food exists to feed it.

Yes, the chiclid tank filter will have a higher bacteria ct. but, run it on the shrimp tank and a lot of bacteria will die off over time basically starving to death.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
This being an established shrimp tank the seeding of the sponge is not as critical as using one for transfer into a new and barren tank. Every surface within a tank has active bacteria on it, sponges just provide a huge surface area.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Putting the sponge in a tank where I have a large bio load will add lots to the sponge but lots will die off in the low bio load shrimp tank.

I think I will move the sponge to the shrimp tank tonight. Because it is an established tank things should be fine.

Thanks guys for the help. I will keep an eye on the ammonia and make sure nothing goes crazy.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What happens if you squeeze some of the smelly gunk out of the old filter's sponge into the new filter's sponge? Does that seed the sponge?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I would think that would add to it and help.

After getting info here and thinking about it. I think it will be safe to move the filter tonight.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode