Tanks and Kids.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Tanks and Kids....

Who has small kids and tanks. Any horror stories. I worry about my kid knocking over on of my nano's or jacking the filters or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
What a terrible thread...oh the sadness Yeah I had a rimless around a 3 year old. That was the last rimless I had Thank goodness it was only a 5g custom built.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I gave one of my ten gallons to a friend and her child dumped a glass of milk in the tank. the fish all survived after a large water change the next morning.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
My youngest one is now 4, no accidents or horror stories with either of them. I even kept them from slapping the glass. Not sure if that is too harsh, but they treat the tanks with respect. Hopefully in two years or so that will turn into interest to have a tank for herself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
We should just get rid of the kids lol just playing...my 17 month old loves the aquarium as much as I do but every now and then I have to remind him not to smack the glass and scare the fishes.

SunSun Pimp #57

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
On a positive note, my little gilrs teacher told me at the last parent/teacher conference "Well, I made the mistake of asking her what kind of little fishies she had. I had no idea what she was talking about but she seemed pretty confident in their names."

My 65g jungle October rain
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
my kid had a 10g in her room for a year, worst was she drew on the tank with crayon and used it for princess stickers (:

i think those wall supprt dealios are important with kids...and tanks

20g: Under Construction...
40b SW: False-perc, Target Mandarin. SPS.LPS.Softies.
58g SW: Yellow Watchman Goby, Copperband Butterfly, Scopas Tang. SPS.LPS.
+ 2 cats, a dog, and a bunneh
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My younger sister once put bubble bath in the tank because she thought the fish needed "to get clean". Too funny!(now) but the fish obviously didn't like it...they all died shortly after.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

i found pennies and something in the tank in their room once. other than that, they're good with keeping out of trouble as far as the tanks are concerned. the pennies did explain a lot, though.

EDIT: i'm now reminded of "the crayon phase". ugh... that was the worst...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyFish View Post
My younger sister once put bubble bath in the tank because she thought the fish needed "to get clean". Too funny!(now) but the fish obviously didn't like it...they all died shortly after.
Yes, explain your child that fish don't need a bath or they don't need soap to be clean.

When I was 2, I emptied a whole soap bottle in my dads fish tank.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I posted this since I recently out a doaqua mini l on a 24" stand in the living room. I am one of those worrying types of parents. She has been great so far.

We are about to build her a custom bed cave like thinghy with a build in tank. I am thinking of using a 20 long but will frame into the shelving for safety.

Just looking for what has happened so I can put in controls.

So closed top and maybe clear vinyl on the outside for easy crayon removal.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

baby wipes work amazin on crayons....or hair dryer and sponge it off with walls (: i just used a razor and it came off fine.

keep fish food high, and the top of tank out of reach. attach shelf/whatever to wall via a strap you can get at home depot

20g: Under Construction...
40b SW: False-perc, Target Mandarin. SPS.LPS.Softies.
58g SW: Yellow Watchman Goby, Copperband Butterfly, Scopas Tang. SPS.LPS.
+ 2 cats, a dog, and a bunneh
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Lost a bunch of fishies today. Someone bumped the CO2 Reg, pretty sure it was the 2 yr old, and one of the needle valves was shooting out a solid stream of CO2. Gassed some fish but most survived.

Craig

ask him haha just happened a few days ago i think or yesterday
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

I have 4 kids ranging from 10-3 and I am always worried about my tank lol. Hubby is building me a better stand for the 40gal. when he goes on vaca in December because the metal stands just don't work on this plush carpeting. The tank wiggles when they all run into the living room and I am so worried it is gonna come crashing down.

I have had no major issues, once in awhile my youngest will put one of her toys in the tank for the "fishy's to play with" but other than that they are all pretty good about both my tank and their tank.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I have three kids 6y/o son and 3y/o and 1y/o daughters. The girls share a room and their tank is on top of a dresser out of their reach.
My sons tank also sits on top of a dresser but it is lower. The day after the tanks were cycled and fish were added I hear splashing. Sure enough my daughter is in my sons room chasing the fish with her hand.
That was the only time we've had a problem.
My 125g in the living room is really to big for them to mess with, and the 55g in the office is to high for them to mess with. The only worry I really have is when they are running through the house the 55g will shake a little. Haven't figured out a way to secure it better to keep from shaking.

Semper Fi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode