just currious... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
just currious...

I love my fish tanks and ever since i was bitten by the shrimp bug I'm very much into my planted tanks. I'm happy bout this, but there's one person that is not. My Girlfriend gets annoyed that I spend so much time in my tanks she says I'm "scooba diving" again. Excuse me if i like to watch my tanks (after i put all this time and effort to make them look nice. I can watch my tanks and shrimps for hours, its very relaxing. Seriously she's not that bad and I probably spend way too much on my tanks/shrimps than I should. Anyone else out there know where I'm coming from? just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
AND HOW! I now exactly what you are talking about. It has been a long time hobby in my family, from my grandpa to dad to me . I am a like more technical in the way I keep my tanks, with all the fancy equipment and live plants. My g-pa and dad do it old school, plastic plants, factory lighting and some commmunity fish but all the same take great pride in their tanks. This is something my wife has yet to fully understand. She gets frustrated saying that she can not keep up with me and there is always something new I want to do. I can admit when I look back and calculate the total cost of my tanks including water bill, that 90% is do to me because of my daily water changes on one tank and RO unit running constantly it is costly. No one said trying to bonsai mother nature was going to be cheap Through all this though at times when things arent working right on a tank or one of my fish is sick, she seems to understand and knows how much of a passion it is to me. I catch her at times too checking out my tanks and talking to the fish, but dont say anything. With being a full time college student and working 30 + hours a week, I need something to chill me out and relax, plus I am getting the hang of things!
Pete
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:37 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samosette
Anyone else out there know where I'm coming from? just curious...
Yep! Same problem here. But I always say it could be worse, my hobby could going out drinking and getting into trouble.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I started keeping fish, I was 12 years old, my mom never seemed to even notice.

Then one day I went down stairs to find her feeding them and talking to them, literally "here fishy fishy" seems that was a habit of hers, she figured I wasn't feeding them because they acted so hungry when she'd look at them.

Now she runs a welfare program for any animal that shows up in the yard, as I understand it, deer come from miles away for the corn, and one of "her" robins built it's nest right in her kitchen window, I swear it pecks on the glass until she gives it a grape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I get it to from my wife when i come home with anything to with fish plants.(Wife)Where have you been to that fish place again you should go live there or get a job there.
But then she feeds the fish when i'm at work,Let's me know if a fish is sick,ect.
When i have taken my tank's down she take's the kids away so i can get it done.

Ivano
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:17 PM

just curious

When I was a baby, it was back in the network only TV days. (just a few years ago...) In the early morning, before the news started on one of local stations, they turned the camera on an aquarium and just broadcasted that for a half hour. My folks would plunk me into my little baby seat, toss me a bottle and set me in front of the tube while they showered, etc. Apparently I was happy as a clam and they were able to have that time to start their day peacefuly. I don't know if it has anything to do with my habit, but it makes sense. I could sit for hours and watch my tank. I find it relaxing and occasionally inspiring, and there is always something more to learn about my fish and their behaviour.

As a youngster, my dad had a small planted tank. Overstocked and algae-ridden... (Mainly because my sis and I kept insisting on picking out the fish and Daddy just couldn't seem to say no). I loved that tank, but it is the reason I have (until I stumbled on this site and you guys created a MONSTER!) always used silk/plastic in my tank. Until yesterday! (Waiting for the flourite cloud to clear, but SO excited to have finally gotten up the nerve to go for it!)

I don't know if it was the early aquarium babysitter that sealed my fate, but I absolutely adore my aquariums. Fortunately hubby does too, although he just watches and occasionally winces (but surprised me yesterday with a new heater, new filter and a couple different thermometers to try out!!!)

There are definitely hobbies that are more expensive and/or detrimental to well-being out there!

Kathy

Kathy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:04 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I love my tanks and I love my wife... if she makes me decide between them I am gonna miss her...

All kiddin aside my wife says she could care less but I catch her all the time staring at it and "making suggestions" on what I should do with them!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've been into aquariums in one way or another for about 30 years now. At one time I had 5 setup in my living room (I hate apartments). 55, 29 and 3-10's. I was breeding live-born and bettas. My wife loved it just as much as me. We ended up moving and at the new place I only setup 2 aquariums, the 55 in the living room and the 29 in our bedroom. I stopped breeding and put 2 albino oscars (hence my handle) and a pleco in the 55 and African cichlids in the 29 at the foot of the bed where normal people put their TV. Then I bought a computer and had nowhere else to put it so I tore down the 29.
A few years later my wife passed away (God I miss her ) and I moved in with a friend. There I set up my 55, not as a freshwater but as a reef this time and the 29 as a community tank. Met my new love of my life about 6 months later and she started getting into my reef so I gave her a 10gal for her very small apartment. Of coarse I had to maintain it for her. She moved in with one of her friends at a bigger place so I took down the 10 and gave her the 29 community. A year later we moved in together with my 55 reef and her 29. Guess what! She wanted a bigger tank with plants! I have kept plants in the past but I lived on a lake and had a very large supply of plants, water and fish! So here we are now with a 55 reef, a 55 planted community and a 29 with Orandas in it. All this because I couldn't keep my butt out of the lake!

Ron
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:23 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking Lucky me

IMHO, these significant others are kinda out of line...everybody needs an outlet and this one is interesting and harmless. They maybe need a hobby too? My BF's hobby is cars. I adore cars and make sure to oooh and aaah appropriately!

I'm living out my fantasies now that I'm all grown up and living on my own! As a kid, all I could have was fish tanks because I was allergic to fur. Now the allergies are gone and I have FIVE tiny doggies, a lovebird, a canary, and--today--6 fish tanks.

I recently got a birthday card with a kid on the front with a guinea pig in each hand, a bird on his shoulder, and cats and dogs all around. It said "When I grow up, I'm gonna have ALL the Animals I want!" That's me!

My darling boyfriend is an Animal Planet fan and thinks it's "Cute". Lucky me!!!

Figgy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:54 PM

Growing up, I remember one of my aunty have this big fishtank with lots and lots of mollies, platties and sword fish. She feed them life worms once every forthnight, and Saturdays is the day when she do water change. She always can find a chore for me to do and I used to try to stayed away

Gosh, I can see my self in her now! Every Saturday I buy life food, and Sunday is WC Day! Back breaking chore that is but I LOVE to come home from work everyday and sit in front of my fishtank for hours

When hubby complaints about the bills, I tell him that we compensate the electricity use on TV as I hardly turn the TV on anymore

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode