meds for plants & invert - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
meds for plants & invert

I was just wonder what everyone uses and recommends for stress or sick fishes. I don't know what to use, salt if bad for the plants and stuff like quicik cure or meth blue will kill my inverts, pls help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:02 PM

What is wrong with them?

If it's just stress, turn the light off, cover the tank, and leave them alone for a day. If they are still stress, test your tank. Something might be off.

Sick fish gets move to a med tank. Don't forget to spray your net with Lysol afterwards.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:17 PM
FMZ
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomE
What is wrong with them?

If it's just stress, turn the light off, cover the tank, and leave them alone for a day. If they are still stress, test your tank. Something might be off.

Sick fish gets move to a med tank. Don't forget to spray your net with Lysol afterwards.
You seriuos about spraying your net with Lysol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I can;t really put them into a med tank because they alwas seem to hide so far into my stems, I check everything. I first thought it was due to too much C02 but it;s only at 18 ppm. My iron, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate aren't even near to being dangerous. They just start breathing heavy, I've tried turning off the light and leaving them alone but they just die the next day. It's very hard for me because i know they are going to die(due to the high breathing) but I am helpless to do nothing but watch. Pls any suggestion would help alot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

Perhaps you don't have enough oxygen in the water. Sometimes we can reduce surface agitation to prevent CO2 loss so much that we choke our fish. Try agitating the surface a little. You can raise the spary bar/output nozzle on your filter to agitate the surface ever so slightly.

Otherwise check your water paramaters. Maybe you have very hard or very soft water (GH and KH) Are you changing water and adequetely dechlorinating it. What about the water temperature? Do you float the new fish to allow them to acclimate to the water conditions in your tank?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMZ
You seriuos about spraying your net with Lysol
Well, I have a bleach/ water mixed solution. That I dip the net in, But yes, if your fish is sick, you want to control the area.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovay
I can;t really put them into a med tank because they alwas seem to hide so far into my stems, I check everything. I first thought it was due to too much C02 but it;s only at 18 ppm. My iron, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate aren't even near to being dangerous. They just start breathing heavy, I've tried turning off the light and leaving them alone but they just die the next day. It's very hard for me because i know they are going to die(due to the high breathing) but I am helpless to do nothing but watch. Pls any suggestion would help alot.
Are you using something like prime or stress coat (water conditioner)? Maybe it's the water itself? Try a water change with RO water?

Yeah, it's hard to deal with knowing your little guys are going to kick off and you can't do anything about it. What kind of fish is it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Well it was 2 blue rams at first, then now a sunburst platy(pretty hardy fishes). It might actually be oxygen, for the last few days I've notice my surface having a little thick slim coat on the top.... i use Prime for my new water, I change my water %50 a week, I alwas check the ph before I add it in. So any other meds or tricks I can use for stress out fish that's safe for inverts and plants? And thanks for all that replied.

-Peter
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Planted Member

You need to identify the stressors and eliminate them. This can be many things from you yourself, addition to the environment, new fish, water parameter fluxuations, tankmates, etc. Fish have a very sensitive way to react to stress, first reaction is to escape it. When that doesnt work, they try and adapt. However adaptive stategy in fish is somewhat unrefined as it usually overcorrects and then settles down to a new set of balance. When this happens many hormones are being released into the fishes body, like adrenalin. Each hormone takes its toll on the fishes overall well being during a time of stress. Eventually if not rectified, the stress will lead to a fatal exhaustion as all of the animals energy is being devoted to escaping stressors. as far as calming fish down, a pinch of sea salt usually helps. (Keeping a reef tank has taught me that it takes a lot of salt really have effect on salininty level...mixing your own water is an eye opener.) Its what I always use anytime im adding a stressor, however, the only true cure is prevention, or removal of the stressor.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode