Cardinals -- will they breed in my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Cardinals -- will they breed in my tank?

I have about 16 cardinals in my 10g tank. They're all doing well. Plenty of plants and driftwood. (see in my sig).

Im curious though, will they ever going to mate and breed? Will I ever get some cutey shmootie wittle cardinal baby fishies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
What's your water hardness like? KH/GH/pH/TDS?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncityz View Post
I have about 16 cardinals in my 10g tank. They're all doing well. Plenty of plants and driftwood. (see in my sig).

Im curious though, will they ever going to mate and breed? Will I ever get some cutey shmootie wittle cardinal baby fishies?

Geeze, and we thought 9 cardinal tetras were too many for our moderately planted 29 gallon; we've had 'em with cherry red shrimp, a single otto cat, and a couple of snail eatin' snails; we've had our tank set-up for about 8 months; the cherry red shrimp breed like crazy, but no cardinal reproduction.

Good luck with that small wittle tank; you never know...

...it's about the fish.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
My sister has 7 in a 2 gallon corner tank.. I know.. I can't convince my family to get rid fo the tank.
They breed all the time with nothing but water conditioner. Theres no heater filter or plants. And I think she feeds them goldfish flakes.
So I think its really possible...
However I have heard they that are supposedly really hard to breed.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
My sister has 7 in a 2 gallon corner tank.. I know.. I can't convince my family to get rid fo the tank.
They breed all the time with nothing but water conditioner. Theres no heater filter or plants. And I think she feeds them goldfish flakes.
So I think its really possible...
However I have heard they that are supposedly really hard to breed.
Your sister may have Neon Tetras instead of Cardinal Tetras. They are similar looking and reportedly easy to breed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Tetras in general are hard to breed PERIOD.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
INterestingly enough, I have a HUGE glob of moss on a piece of driftwood on one side of my 45 g. bowfront.
I've had the same fish for years . One day , I noticed something small moving around, and couldn't believe it. Then a couple days later, another. I wasn't suer if they were clouds or blue flame's. Well, they are growing and have red tails so are blue flames. The irony is I also have two very large rope fish, and a brown knife in that tank ! My adult flames are 8 years old. I only have 3 left , and one of them has had a humped back and black spot for at least a year !!!
I love surprises like that.... bizarre.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
The majority of fish I have kept are various tetra's and I have yet to have any breed. I have Cardinals and from what I have read, they seem more challenging than most.

If you are not actively trying to breed them, I will doubt you will have any breed. If you actively try to breed them, you may have some luck but it probably won't be easy and it probably won't be on your first try.

Not trying to be negative but this wouldn't be high on my list of fish to try to breed.

-Matt

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

im getting my new fish wednesday, do you guys think that is good idea to have neon tetras and cardinals in the same tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode