Are Aqueon stands decent quality? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Are Aqueon stands decent quality?

We are looking for a stand for a 75 gallon tank that will be in our living room. I'd like something that is solid and will look good for a long time. The LFS can order Aqueon stands.

Does anyone have one? Are they attractive/sturdy/durable?

If you have something better, where did you get it? I can't find any other types of stands for sale.

If only I had taken wood-shop in HS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hit or miss I find. I have an aqueon stand for my 36 bowfront, it's quite nice. Black wood stained well, sturdy, built well.. I've seen other ones that look like they were made in grade 6 shop class though
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yah... Its hit or miss....
Some of the ones near me are really really really nice... And otherones are really really really terrible.
Try lurking around the DIY forum.
I have never used a power tool in my life, but a few questions there and searching some threads made me realise a stand is really not as complicated as I thought. And its much cheaper to build.

Other than that... They make this one stand that comes with the 60 gallon. Looks real sharp in person... Or at least... The one at my petsmart does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Stands

I'm checking with local cabinet makers to see if they can make me a quality stand for a reasonable price. The stands at the lfs are 500$ and I don't really like them. Hopefully I'll find the right thing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
I just bought the Aqueon mission style cabinet and canopy today for my 75G. It's the same one that I had on my 180G reef tank before I took it down. It held up very well, looked good and an extra bonus was that the stand is higher than the typical store bought cabinets so there was never an issue with how tall anything underneath needed to be. The canopy on this model has the entire front opening up on a piano hinge to allow for easy cleaning and accessibility. I have also had the Aqueon Modern style on another 75G tank, also without issues.

I think any custom made one, if made correctly, will definitely be more sturdy than any store bought, but I have never had a problem with any of the Aqueon stands that I have had, knock on wood.

Marilyn

Marilyn
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I don't have the Aqueon, but if you're looking for cheap but effective alternatives, speedie408 and I are very happy with our Aquatic Fundamentals 75/90g stand.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks

Edsbeaker--Thanks for the review. I hope you enjoy your new stand. I also liked the mission style model because of the height. I don't understand all these 28" tall stands. Our stand for our 40 gal is 37" tall and that seems just right. With a taller tank, I could see going down a few inches but not 10"!

Zergling-thanks for the recommendation, I'll check those out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode