Do you still have your starter plants???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Do you still have your starter plants????

I have my tank for more than 3 months now. I don't have much of my original starter plants. Not sure if this is a bad or good thing. However, I am very proud to say that my Temple plants, maybe 9 stems of them with no taller than 4" 3 months ago, now, they are more than 1 ft tall and taking up 50% of my 40g 36" long tank. That's about it and I am about to remove my 2 giant Amazon swords this week. The Amazon swords are my starter plants too. I am also guilty of removing plants that are messy or growing too fast to trim. I thought they would be nice at first, such as cabombas and Rotica Indicas.

Right now, I am in love with Java Ferns and Crypts. Maybe they grow slower and somewhat easy to plant and acclimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I too love my java ferns and crypts

My original java fern purchased from 2008, from those petco tubes, probably has x10 the quantity. The crypt. wendtii I originally bought for my 2.5gal has spread to another 2.5gal and covers almost 1/4 the foot print of my 20Long. A couple of years ago I bought a quarter sized fissidens from a member here, if I have kept all the trimming, it would probably be as big as a cantaloupe.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I still have my java ferns and anubias from when I first started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I have my original crypt wendtii and anubias nana petite. There are crypt plantlets in a couple tanks, and I'd say What I have now is the same size as when I got my first hi-tech tank a year ago. And I've given away 95% of the total growth since then.

The anubias, however, is still struggling with the same black tufts of algae that it had when I first got them, and what with removing afflicted leaves regularly, they're the same size as well. Oh well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
I too love my java ferns and crypts

My original java fern purchased from 2008, from those petco tubes, probably has x10 the quantity. The crypt. wendtii I originally bought for my 2.5gal has spread to another 2.5gal and covers almost 1/4 the foot print of my 20Long. A couple of years ago I bought a quarter sized fissidens from a member here, if I have kept all the trimming, it would probably be as big as a cantaloupe.

I just spent $50+ on some huge Java Fern mat 5" x 3" big and 2 giant crypts (wendtii red) 7" tall and 3" wide to replace my Amazon Swords. Hopefully I am done replacing my plants....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have the original C. wendtii I bought 15 years ago and still love it though I expect too much from it. The lilies have been in the tank for quite a while too but are less appreciated. The Anubias nana wasn't a first plant but it was the first Anubias and the poor thing has been through a lot with me. All of the above have been divided and taken to the LFS and sold online many times.

I have lost and bought hairgrass, pennywort wisteria and Marsilea again.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I also have some old C. wendtii brown, I think I started with 3 and have about 19 or so in the same spot since 2004 along with 2 A. crispus, everything else is new. I still have some of my original live stock from 04.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode