Which Aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which Aquarium?

I'm looking to buy a new aquarium so I can plant it out. Having problems finding one with good lighting. Can anyone suggest a good tank to buy, no bigger than 125litre and no smaller than 65litre.
I've seena few but they all seem to fall well short on their watts per gallon rule
Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
If you are looking for light capable of supporting plant growth you are most likely going to be looking at an after market fixture like the rest of us usually do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
First, buying a tank with an included light is usually a bad idea as the lights are total garbage. Buy a tank by itself and invest in a light separately.

Second, the WPG rule is not accurate and is used by no one these days. Given the output of T5, compact fluorescents, etc. this rule is totally worthless. It fails to take into some many variable such as distance from light to substrate, reflector, bulb type, etc. Read up on the lighting thread and get more acquainted with lighting and do it right the first time

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
It's best to start with how much space you have to put you tank in. Most of us like a tank that has depth front to back that gives us more "floor space" to plant in. The height from bottom to top will have an effect on how ell the light gets to the plants.

I like a tank that is around 90cm L x 42Dx 42H size about 90L. You can use any size you like of course. Some shapes are just easier to work with.

As some of the others have said, shop around for the best parts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
You can use any size you like of course. Some shapes are just easier to work with.

As some of the others have said, shop around for the best parts.
Thanks for replying DogFish,
I prob have enough space for a 90l but would prefer not to spend more money on another tank. I Have a 60l and would love to make that one a planted tank.
I'm aware you need to customise the lighting set up, but I have a plastic moulded injected hood supplied new with the 60l.
What would be your opinion with upgrading the 60l aquarium? Should I get a new hood built with a new light and balast, or keep the existing one and buy the new light and balast and make it fit into the hood myself?
I'm not an electrician and worry slightly about the potential danger of mixing water with a novice electrical installation.
The tank dimensions are 60cm x 30cm(d) x 30(h)cm
Any suggestions on what lighting system to research? My existing view light is 438mm 15w and the hood only has space for one bulb and balast.
Thank you again for reading
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for replying Higher Thinking,
This is why I much prefer the advice from experts to LFS salesmen. The tanks they recommended all use "great for aqaurium plants" in their ads, from what people have advised on this forum the supplied lights are next to useless (unless i want to start an algae farm). I will look into the thread on lighting, thank you for the info
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i used a hood on a 10 gallon the light was remarkable. i actually needed to add c02 and it was an 8 watt bulb with great reflector. i upgraded to marineland singlebright led to lower the light intensity but there are hoods out there that can meet your needs.
as a general rule. more light is not always better. keep that while you peruse the forum and learn new stuff about planted tanks

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

I like the 40 gallon breeder size 36"x18"x16". Has nearly as much floor space as a 75 gallon yet is quite shallow which reduces the lighting requirements.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i used a hood on a 10 gallon the light was remarkable. i actually needed to add c02 and it was an 8 watt bulb with great reflector. i upgraded to marineland singlebright led to lower the light intensity but there are hoods out there that can meet your needs.
as a general rule. more light is not always better. keep that while you peruse the forum and learn new stuff about planted tanks
Hello Blazingwolf,
Very interesting, I was looking into having lower light species of plant, "more light is not always better" Do you think my existing light (15w Juwel Aquarium 438mm Day-lite) will be sufficient enough for lower light species aided with co2? or do you mean replacing the whole hood?
Thanks for reading
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxl View Post
I like the 40 gallon breeder size 36"x18"x16". Has nearly as much floor space as a 75 gallon yet is quite shallow which reduces the lighting requirements.
Thank you, I'll look into them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode