Any tricks to keeping stem cuttings from floating - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
Any tricks to keeping stem cuttings from floating

I am planting a brand new tank for the first time in my life and I have received a lot of nice plants from members here. However, many of them just keep floating up and out of the ADA AS substrate. I know I am not supposed to bury stems, only roots, but what do I do when the stems have no (or very little) roots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
You're supposed to bury stems. There are only a few plants (and all mosses) that you shouldn't bury - ferns and anubias come to mind. Plant each stem a couple inches into the substrate.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yup - stem plants don't "need" roots to grow, i pull off the bottom 2 nodes worth of leaves (from which roots may sprout) and bury it at least that deep if not deeper into substrate with some planting tweezers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

when planting I use a bit of fishing line and a "lead" skinker to hold them down until the roots develope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll do that. When I planted about six wisteria stems, everything below the substrate just rotted out.

On some of the more buoyant plants, I might have to try line and sinkers.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Um, don't the lead sinkers leech led into the water over time?

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Just bury the stem it will stay down by itself. If its real stubborn you can bend the stem so it holds on under the gravel. Dont fear burying it to deep.

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
if you dont have planting tweezers, get some asap, make ALL the difference.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
If you don't have access to pincettes, you can use chopsticks in a pinch.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Um, don't the lead sinkers leech led into the water over time?
That's why I put "lead" the sinkers now a days are compsed of Aluminum and some other metals. I have never had a problem using them in my tank ever.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
if you dont have planting tweezers, get some asap, make ALL the difference.
They really are a valuable tool when it come's to planting.

Semper Fi
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
1000% use some sort of tool to plant stems!

Love the chopstick idea, have to try it sometime. Maybe even sneak eyebrow tweezers from the bathroom, I always have an annoying pair that won't pull hair anymore laying around. The tip of the tool holds the end of the stem with the top of the stem running up your hand. Push stem into soil, release and scoop the tool out rather than pulling it straight out so your substrate falls back around the stem. Leaving leaves on the stem helps hold it down as well.

When I have super fast growing stems that need to be pulled and trimmed weekly [like pennywort and hornwort] I wrapped a rubber band loosely around a good sized pebble and inserted stems 1" apart around the pebble. Much easier to locate than a small bit of metal and a 2" pebble could comfortably hold 4-6 stems.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
With my really light floaty stem plants I like to take 3-5 stems and ziptie them lightly onto a decent sized pebble. Zip ties are completely aquarium safe I use em for everything
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Yup - stem plants don't "need" roots to grow
I think I know what you are trying to say, but just to clarify: Stem plants do need roots in order to grow. Cuttings are the top portion of a rooted stem. When you plant a cutting, roots will develop. If roots do not develop it means your light is too weak, and the bottom portion of the stem will rot instead of forming roots.

As the stem takes root in the substrate, the roots will firmly anchor it. Bury it as deep as you need to to keep it in place. You could put some larger pebbles, stones around the stems until they take root to weigh them down

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Over time, I've figured out how deep to bury stems to keep them in place. It's a learning experience, albeit one that's complicated by [email protected]#$%e plecos. And I don't keep PetSmart mystery snails anymore specifically for this reason.

Just bury them deep. Too deep isn't an issue - the very bottoms will rot away and provide nutrients for the roots. You will always have the occasional floater for one reason or another, especially if you plant a bunch at once. Not a big deal, just replant. Patience is key in regards to every plant-related aspect of this hobby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode