Photoperiod/effects of outside lighting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Photoperiod/effects of outside lighting?

Hello all,
I have my lights on from 2pm till 12am. This gives me 10 hours photo period. I understand that plants only photosynth for a number of hours a day. This can be seen with some anubias. My tank is dark for the first 8 hour of natural sun light. While my tank recieves no direct sunlight, there is still some light in my apartment. The leave position themselves to face the outside of the aquarium. Do you think that this is taking away from the time that plants can utilize the light that i give them artificially? Do you think that the plants are photosyth with the low light for hours before the real lights come on? Any thoughts on this? Thanks
jB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, When the plants turns to face the light, even when it's low. The plant will try to absorb what light so it can to photosync. It's the plants nature. But If your plants are doing good, I wouldn't worry about that small extra light.

I'm assuming that the timer is set at 2-12, so you could come home and watch the tank. If that's the case, you could cover the tank when you're not watching it to prevent light from entering the tank.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Darkness is just as vital to plant's as light, they need some darkness.
I would at least cover the tank some if you have the light's running at odd hour's.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I also noticed how strong indirect sunlight can effect a tank, my plants don't turn to it but that side of the tank will get a dusting of algae on the glass while the rest of the tank stays clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
is it true that plants 'grow' at night time? i've noticed some stem plants grow an inch+ overnight.... or am i totally off?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 AM
FMZ
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwong2k
is it true that plants 'grow' at night time? i've noticed some stem plants grow an inch+ overnight.... or am i totally off?
You're right about that, they do grow an inch or two.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I think that's true and I have theory, but no proof. They collect sunlight all day and then store that energy and change it into food (sugars and what not) for themselves, at night comes the rest period now it's time to eat. I now every time I eat I grow, gotta stay away from that fridge. In terrestrial plants anytime that you trim the top of the plant it will stop growing and put on more root growth, more root growth equals more storage capacity, now the foliage starts to grow again to double the previous size. This only works with established plants, but even new plant should always be pruned and root pruned lightly before planting.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Yes, my off schedule of lighting if for me. It wouldnt be much fun if I got home from work and only had an hour to watch my aquarium. I know that light independent cycle of photosynthesis(calvin cyle) requires darkness. But there is some grey area here. The tank is in total darkness for 6 hours. And I believe the calvin cycle is regulated by light. Are there any biologists out there?
Thanks for all your replies guys
jB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode