Cycling a new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling a new tank

2 gal fluval spec tank. My first tank and I want to do this right from the start. How long should I wait before putting any fish in it? Or is it better to put one fish in to help with cycling? Thanks for any advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
mr2
Planted Member

Throw a pinch of fish food in, and let it sit about a week give or take a few days. You could probably get away with one very small fish right from the start but why risk it, it will cycle quickly due to the small volume of water.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
No fish, put in water and plants and test water every couple days. Put a small amount of flake food in every other day or so to help the bacteria.
If you have any friends with an established tank you can borrow some filter media to help get your tank going. Of try your LFS for some established bacteria for your tank.

Semper Fi

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies

Here in Alberta it's a statutory holiday for Remembrance day, so I'll have to get the flakes tomorrow when stores are open. Next question, can you suggest what fish to put in this tiny tank? Would 2 male fancy guppies be ok? Thanks again!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Fancy guppies would be too big for this tank. You could do male Endler's livebearers though, they're a bit smaller. Or a school of 5-6 microrasboras. You'll probably have to order those online, I've never seen them in stores. They're under an inch and school nicely and some are bright red. Or you could do a lone sparkling gourami. They have beautiful colors when the light hits them right. You might also get away with keeping an indian pea puffer in there by himself. You could also add some dwarf shrimp. Or if you didn't want to do fish/shrimp, a pair of dwarf frogs and some snails would live happily in there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like the idea of dwarf frogs and a snail or 2. What do they eat? Thanks for helping me out here, I really want this first to be successful. I was hoping to put a couple of colorful fish in there, but want to be sure they'll have a good life. If the tanks too small, then frogs will do nicely!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

I feed my frogs HBH Frog & Tadpole bites but here's a more complete list of frog foods from a dwarf frog site, I don't know what's available in your area:

Frozen or Freeze Dried Brineshrimp
Frozen or Freeze Dried Bloodworms or Glassworms
HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites
Reptomin
Gammarus
Frozen Beefheart
Frozen or Freeze dried krill or baby shrmp
Earthworms or nightcrawlers choped into small bite sized pieces

It's good to have a snail that eats leftover food with frogs (i.e don't just have nerite snails in your tank because they ONLY eat algae) since they don't have the best eyesight and often miss pieces of food, which will end up polluting the water unless something eats them.

When you're setting up your tank, because the Fluval Spec is vertical, try having something tall in it (a tall plant or a piece of driftwood) to provide visual interest at the top since you're not getting fish and the frogs mainly stay on the bottom. And make sure they have lots of places to hide. Good luck!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the great advise. I'm excited to get this going...patiently waiting for the cycling to be done
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh also, I don't know if you already have them in there, but there's no need to wait to put your plants in. You should put them in right away... they'll probably have some beneficial bacteria on their leaves that will help you cycle your tank.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Roadie View Post
Here in Alberta it's a statutory holiday for Remembrance day, so I'll have to get the flakes tomorrow when stores are open. Next question, can you suggest what fish to put in this tiny tank? Would 2 male fancy guppies be ok? Thanks again!
Both Big Als on 32nd and Pices on McKnight were open today
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Here ya go.. very detailed instructions. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the great info and links! Much appreciated.
I have the tank set up now, with a live plant in it. I'll pick up some flakes tomorrow and a test kit. Any suggestions on what kit to buy? Are they expensive? Thanks again.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Roadie View Post
Thanks for all the great info and links! Much appreciated.
I have the tank set up now, with a live plant in it. I'll pick up some flakes tomorrow and a test kit. Any suggestions on what kit to buy? Are they expensive? Thanks again.
You'll want a test kit that does: Nitrite, PH, Nitrate, Ammonia, and GH/KH. They're around $40-$45. Make sure you get one that is a drop test rather than the strips.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode