For those of us that actually have a winter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
For those of us that actually have a winter

That would NOT included Tx.Fl. & Ca. Seriuosly, 40degrees is NOT winter.

Now to the topic. When do you stop shipping/receiving plants my USPS? I know heat packs exist. My postwoman rolls around my house in late afternoon. which I can;t understand why the temp driver when she's off work is here by 11am???

Is there a temp. cut-off or hasn't it ever been a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've gotten plants in the winter before but the temp was around 30F... I wouldn't go too much below that. Air & styrofoam are actually a pretty good insulators.

I used to live in Chicago. It gets cold there. You better order now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
my last plants that my bro shipped came in when i was snowing a week or so ago and my plants were pretty dam cold prob close to 50deg maybe colder as our mail mans times vary 8am-7pm it seems lol. if your really worried check this out http://www.markofoam.com/usps-insulated-containers.php with that i wouldnt be worried period. it would really depend on the plant an exposure time imo. but im sure ill order some of these or something simalar for winter time if needed.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I get them year round. Just ask for the package to be marked "hold for pickup". Postal trucks are heated in back(the delivery trucks are one compartment). I use a wooden box on my front step that has a heat pad (used for dog kennels) in the bottom. I had fish and shrimp shipped in february(10 degrees) and the postal worker sees a sign that says to put the boxes inside this box(rigid foam insulation and a heat pad). No losses so far.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
you know cali has mountains that snows <40F

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
|

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
YOU

Climate - San Bernardino - California
Temperature - Precipitation

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jan Oct Nov Dec
Average high in F.... 67 83 73 68
Average low in F...... 42 54 45 41
Av. precipitation ... 3.5 0.39 0.71 1.18"

ME

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
winter sucks. AND on a nice clear day, I can count on my mail being delivered precisely between 10 am and 530pm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00589.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	37423  

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
YOU

Climate - San Bernardino - California
Temperature - Precipitation

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jan Oct Nov Dec
Average high in F.... 67 83 73 68
Average low in F...... 42 54 45 41
Av. precipitation ... 3.5 0.39 0.71 1.18"

ME

This made my LMBO!

I love Michigan and was all giddy that it was snowing yesterday. When my husband asked why the heck I was all happy, I told him the happiness wouldn't last very long.

Love snow. Hate driving in it. I'm a neurotic driver.

I've received flora and fauna all year round. After it gets down to freezing at night, I ask for a heat pack.

This time of the year though, all carriers tend to be busy with holiday mail, which can slow things down. I haven't had a problem with it, but I know people who have, so take some caution when sending/ordering things right now.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Oh psh... Its reached 30 here...
lol..
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I like seasons that ARE seasons. I spent a semester in San Diego, it was beautiful weather, every day, Day After Day, AFTER DAY. It was like some bizzar Twilight Zone weather. I was praying for a thunder storm, hail, something, anything.

My little local post office is open 9-4 so I can't always get there. My PostWoman is on "Southern Time" when she driver her route.

Maybe NOT buying anymore plants during winter might be a good thing.

My last small purchase is on the way Via USPS. This will be a good test. I specifically asked for a Sat or Mon shipping. The seller shipped Tues. I'll be out of town and that box is going to sit in the Mail Box until Monday. It hit freezing here last night. Fortunately it was only $10.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Razorworm - I have a feeling we tool those picks on the same day...LOL

Not having a monster snowblower, I shoveled very two hours. I also fired uo the Weber grill and had Brats going. Gave some to the City plow drivers. I even had some dry smoker chips on the fire. It was cool to see people faces when they drove by and got a smell of summer in the middle of a blizzard.

They have hurricane parties in N'leans, so why not Blizzard Bar-B-Que
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I ship all year round. I use insulated boxes and heat packs.

Keep in mind, heat packs on average raise the tempearture about 14 degrees within a cubic foot. Please remember as well, the heat packs need oxygen in order to continue working and do not work below a certain temperature. If you are using a pre-formed styro, you need to poke a hole in it so that the heat pack can continue to work, otherwise it depletes all the available oxygen in teh box and goes cold until the box is opened. Also you need to pay attention to which side the red stripes are on and make sure they are not sandwiched against the box/styro lid. These should be facing INTO the box. Use insulation to protect the bags from uneven heating (newspaper works well). You can also "jumpstart" a heat pack by putting it in a bag with some oxygen/air to get it warm immediately for shipping. Keep in mind, this lowers the length of its use. Heat packs do have a peak temperature, so you need to be sure you do not overdo it with them.

Also keep in mind, you don't account for outside temperatures as they are in heated trucks.

I jsut require a signature for fish so that I know the package will not sit outside, or do hold for pickup.

Priority packages must have someone available to receive them when temperatures are below freezing.

I do take of about 3 weeks in December (2nd week of december to first week of january) as there are unavoidable postal delays no matter what (express shipping I still do then)
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
If you're worried about the temperature, just have them shipped to your work. That's one way around it so it doesn't sit outside in the cold. Also, then your spouse won't know about it either

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I like seasons that ARE seasons. I spent a semester in San Diego, it was beautiful weather, every day, Day After Day, AFTER DAY. It was like some bizzar Twilight Zone weather. I was praying for a thunder storm, hail, something, anything.

My little local post office is open 9-4 so I can't always get there. My PostWoman is on "Southern Time" when she driver her route.

Maybe NOT buying anymore plants during winter might be a good thing.

My last small purchase is on the way Via USPS. This will be a good test. I specifically asked for a Sat or Mon shipping. The seller shipped Tues. I'll be out of town and that box is going to sit in the Mail Box until Monday. It hit freezing here last night. Fortunately it was only $10.
Go down to the PO and have hold the mail until Monday. That way it will sit at the post office instead of the mailbox??
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
compare:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0923

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/57005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode