best ground cover - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
best ground cover

hi guy im new the planted tank thing i have glasisigma in a small section now but its not growing that great im running 2.4 watts per gallon i know it should be a little higher any ideas on what i can do to boost it a little without buying a who new light maybe leds or something im also open to having a different ground cover all together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
rule #1

ignore WPG unless you are using T12 bulbs...its an old myth that has been around for far too long

1. how big is your tank?
2. what type of light are you using on your tank (T5, T8, T12 LED, PC, CFL, MH, sunlight etc)?
3. are you dosing any fertilizers or CO2?
4. how long has your tank been running
5. what substrate are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im using a 40b i have a 4 bulb t5 i am using co2 and excel its been running for about a month and i have flourite as a subs

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer105 View Post
im using a 40b i have a 4 bulb t5 i am using co2 and excel its been running for about a month and i have flourite as a subs
what brand is your fixture?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
4xT5? That is more light than needed! CO2 is good, but where are the macro and micro nutrients? With CO2 and bright light the plants will need nitrate, phosphate and potassium as well as a good supply of micros like iron and a bunch of others. Cheapest way to go is through some of the sponsors here and buy a package of powders and mix it yourself as written up in this thread.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html

Until you figure out the fertilizing see if you can use only one bulb and cut the lighting period down to a maximum of 8 hours a day.

And last, how long has the tank been set up? My new plants tend to sit and sulk for a bit then figure out my tank and take off if they are going to do so.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
By "not growing great" what do you mean? Is it growing upwards? Is there algae? Are there holes in the leaves or deficiencies?

If its growing upwards instead of carpeting, try to trim it. Trim it really aggressively, leave maybe a cm of it left. It'll grow back and you trim again. It kinda "trains" the plant to carpet.

If there's algae, then it means there's too much light, not enough co2.

If there are holes it might mean there's a nutrient difficiency. Fluorite doesn't provide nutrients, just iron and a high cec so you'll have to add some.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
With your setup you should be able to grow just about any foreground plant, DHG belem, HC, UG....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have 4 x T5NO on a 40 B with CO2 and EI dosing and HC is filling out nicely!

That's with crap coralife reflectors which don't let you see ANY extra "reflected bulbs" (whereas catalina reflectors show 2 mirror images of each bulb)

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Going from Excel to actual C02 would make a big difference, or in your case raising the C02 level. Excel is marginally effective and only if you use it daily. There are some plants that do not seem to respond to it very well. I always had the most trouble with foreground plants, and Glossostigma can be finicky.

Several years ago I went from Excel to a Carbo Plus C02 system. I don't think it is even still around, but it was a device that extracted C02 from the carbonate hardness in the water. At most it would give you around 10ppm of C02. Much better than Excel, but still not the 20 to 30 ppm that people shoot for. I had Glossostigma and Micranthemoides on opposite ends of the tank. The C02 from the Carbo plus made the Glosso grow much faster and thicker than the Excel did, but the Micranthemoides grew even faster and eventually over took the Glosso. A few months later I cut the plants back and upgraded to pressurized C02. The Glosso took off like a rocket and over took the Micranthemoides. My lighting was always the same, one 55 watt power compact fluorescent over the 20 gallon tank.

The watts per gallon rule is not "myth". It has always been a general rule of thumb based on the average lumen output of a standard fluorescent and meant only as an easy way to gauge lighting, not a scientific measurement. That hasn't changed.

Inject C02 at the maximum level and you will see a huge improvement. Glossostigma is a light demanding plant. In lower light levels, or light that would be fine for many other plants, it will grow taller instead of shorter. The higher the light intensity, the shorter it stays. It is more difficult to grow the plant in tall tanks. The shorter the distance from surface to substrate, the faster and more compact the growth is.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what are the elements i should be putting in i would like to buy the mix already done is there anywhere i can get that
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
Personally, I'd buy the macro's and micros separately.

I house a full community with fairly large fish, and I always have higher phosphates than nitrates due to the amount of feeding. I dose with an EI routine, but cut back on the KH2PO4.

I still use KH2PO4, KNO3, and CSM+B, I just change my dosing levels. A pre mix would not allow me to do this.

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i don't know enough to mix myself
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
I would not recommend jumping into ferts unless you have a solid understanding of fertilizing, and the effects that fertilization will have. Just like anything else in this hobby, making a mistake can lead to algae, poor plant growth, and even death to plants & livestock.

Check out this thread here-

This will give you an idea of what you'll be getting into with fertilizers.

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RukoTheWonderDog View Post
I would not recommend jumping into ferts unless you have a solid understanding of fertilizing, and the effects that fertilization will have. Just like anything else in this hobby, making a mistake can lead to algae, poor plant growth, and even death to plants & livestock.

Check out this thread here-

This will give you an idea of what you'll be getting into with fertilizers.
Fertilizing is not a precision process. You can be off by a factor of 3-4 without any harm occurring, as long as you do periodic big water changes. Mistakes won't cause algae problems, unless you are dosing too little. To kill plants with the basic fertilizer chemicals requires that you dose so much the water is brackish. And, the dosages we use don't come anywhere near that. Just read that sticky and follow the table there, plus do roughly 50% water changes about every week. It soon becomes a routine you don't even need to think much about

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode