Tetra Mess-Up - Was it ever fixed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Tetra Mess-Up - Was it ever fixed?

I've never purchased Tetra products if I could help it because when I first got into the hobby, I saw this thread: http://www.aquariumpros.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1344

I've always wondered- did Tetra ever do anything to make up for this?

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Tetra's response:

Quote:
Thank you for writing to us about Tetra's appearance on the CBS Early Show.

The brevity of the segment prevented us from covering all of the points that we would have liked to cover. Tetra understands that setting up any aquarium is a complicated process and we refer people to responsible sources of information, such as a local retail pet professional or www.tetra-fish.com for more detailed information.

Your point is well taken. I can assure you that we will consider your concerns in all of our future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Tetra Consumer Relations
Anyone who thinks they can learn to do anything at all properly from just a four minute segment on a morning show meant only for light entertainment, is more at fault than Tetra. I've been in both broadcast and print media, and they do either direct you what to say, or edit heavily, to fit the format. It's easy to point a finger at Tetra, but if they hadn't done exactly the kind of segment CBS wanted to tie into the Nemo craze, CBS would have just found someone else instead.

It was blown out of proportion then, seven years ago. Well past time to move on.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
So, if the Runner's World magazine did a segment where they said starve yourself and exercise without stretching to lose weight, would that also be the TV network's fault?

A FO with a shrimp and a goby would have been just as entertaining, and a lot more honest. Why wouldn't the TV network let them do that?

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
I believe Tetra has more weight to bare for this. Although the responsibility is on both ends, Tetra is the professional here and if a Mom has a kid begging her for a little Nemo that segment would take her of the fence to purchase. Tetra knows full well that most of its products are purchased at chains where they frequent. They're not the only ones, how many times have you seen those little Marineland tanks stuffed with fish.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
So, if the Runner's World magazine did a segment where they said starve yourself and exercise without stretching to lose weight, would that also be the TV network's fault?

A FO with a shrimp and a goby would have been just as entertaining, and a lot more honest. Why wouldn't the TV network let them do that?
Extreme. ALso, digging up an issue from 7 years ago? That is a stretch. What exactly is it you want tetra to do here? Hocus pocus and take back the segment? GMA is certainly not going to run a 7 year old retraction. Or any sort of retraction on this... Someone is going to have to sell the items and fish to someone and it is ultimately their responsibility to make sure their customer is educated.

Some of the "best" lfs in this country have given some of the worst advice. People buying stuff really aren't interested in advice and won't listen anyways. This is just like the arguments against the Tanked TV show.

Reef Guys seem to be the worst. Thinking that they are somehow personally insulted by making the hobby "look bad". If anyone went out and put all of these fish in a 15 gallon tank that means someone let them buy them without proper education.

I've seen some pretty shoddy advice on aquariumpros too, so not sure why were jumping on a bandwagon.

Think of these segments as entertainment. They are on entertainment shows.

I've given this all the breath I can give to an 8 year old topic...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I believe Tetra has more weight to bare for this. Although the responsibility is on both ends, Tetra is the professional here and if a Mom has a kid begging her for a little Nemo that segment would take her of the fence to purchase. Tetra knows full well that most of its products are purchased at chains where they frequent. They're not the only ones, how many times have you seen those little Marineland tanks stuffed with fish.

So parents don't have to parent?

Spongebob lives at the bottom of the ocean. I want to do that. Mommy, let me do that! Please! MOMMY! I AM GOING TO LIVE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN! MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode