My 20gL setup after 4 weeks. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 20gL setup after 4 weeks.

Hey everyone, I have been meaning to post my tank but haven't had a chance until now. I'm currently experiencing some algae (beard maybe) and I'll gladly take some help if anyone's willing to give any, but I'm mainly here to create a thread to post the tank's progress.

The tank is a derimmed 20g long with a tetra 20-40g HOB filter and two 13w spiral cfls in clip on desk lamps. The tank trim, lights, and filter top have been painted to match (somewhat accurately) the colors in the kitchen.

The substrate consists of a layer of topsoil/clay from my backyard that has been mixed in with some miracle gro seed starting potting soil. This is capped by a thin layer of gravel with black sand on top (depth varies).

For my hardscape I used two pieces of mopani wood (which is finally losing the white fungus that everyone seems to acquire) and three stones from my backyard.

In the tank I have wisteria, dwarf hairgrass (or micro sword), anubias, amazon sword, java fern, crypt parva, christmas moss, narrowleaf sagittaria, and an unknown (almost looks like palm fronds...not growing well)

As for fauna, I have one cory cat, three ottos, three algea eating shrimp (which look a lot like amanos), one ghost shrimp, and 5 neon tetras. This particular group is what I started with and I'm pretty set on keeping the cory, ottos, and shrimp. As for the "viewing" fish I will either add more neons or transplant them to another tank and go with something else (suggestions?).

I dose one third of a cap of flourish comp. every 5 days.

I planted the whole tank in one night and everything was (is?) growing slowly but surely however I'm starting to get what I believe is beard algae (it's pretty short, and has "branches"). Yesterday I raised the lights to about 6 inches off of the water so I hope that will help kill the algea while still promoting growth. I'm most worried about my dwarf hairgrass.

I will gladly take any suggestions or criticism on the looks/setup of the tank, as well as any input as to why I am growing algae.

Thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
was this a rimmed 20long that you took the rim off of?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes it was.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Looks good to me. Im not a fan of the lighting set up, but i can see with its location and style of tank options are limited. Looks good though, nice clean layout
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Algae could be because of the window there, also may be just because its a new tank. However anytank could get algae.

Hope that helps.
Keep us updated I love 20L tanks!
-Matt
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Also on a side note I dont know if you like the cory cat, But if you want them to be way more active and playful try to go with a group of 5-6 they will be so much more happy and you will get much more pleasure out of them! There a really nice low level fish for your tank. P.S. they love eating worms also!

Hope you dont think I am criticising you too much.
I Love this tank!

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode