May be a weird question... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
May be a weird question...

So I see all these tanks with driftwood hanging out the top of a open tank and I was wondering...anyone ever tried keeping plants on them?

If their a few inches from the water, I was thinking air plants...or would that for some reason destroy the tank...thought of having some nice plants above water on the driftwood that arnt grassy sounded good to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Not a weird question. There are alot of people who do this. I think depending on the amount of plants you grow emmersed you can call it a riparium
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
check out my 40 gallon tank, I have terrestrial moss growing on mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

Doesn't seem weird to me, anyway. I remember reading accounts of epiphytic orchids in South America describing certain species that grew on trees hanging right over the local rivers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like that look. It isn't weird at all!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i talked to someone who raises air plants and sells them online, she liked the idea of using them on the driftwood sticking out, and i wouldnt have to worry about them drying out too much (:

i looked into some riparium plants, and it looks fun and neat, even just using a grassy plant make it feel less tanky (:

anyone know those weeds...or reeds actually, that grow along rivers? used to be my fav thing when canoeing, but saw them mostly along the spring creeks. you can actually pull them apart, as they already have rings that create segments and then you can kinda put them back together. i wonder about those...dk if its the cool water or spring water being so clean that makes them grow.

20g: Under Construction...
40b SW: False-perc, Target Mandarin. SPS.LPS.Softies.
58g SW: Yellow Watchman Goby, Copperband Butterfly, Scopas Tang. SPS.LPS.
+ 2 cats, a dog, and a bunneh
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

From your description it sounds like horsetail, Equisetum. I have no experience of growing them myself, but maybe someone else here does.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yesss that. reading about it...not finding a lot of info for in home though or needs other than sandy soil and poor drainage substrate. o well...

20g: Under Construction...
40b SW: False-perc, Target Mandarin. SPS.LPS.Softies.
58g SW: Yellow Watchman Goby, Copperband Butterfly, Scopas Tang. SPS.LPS.
+ 2 cats, a dog, and a bunneh
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

Being on the obsessive-compulsive side, I did a little research and it looks like the problem with horsetail isn't so much getting it to grow as getting it to stop growing. There are species of it growing in every state in the U.S. except Hawai'i. (Here's a link to the USDA list of species with maps and links to descriptions for each: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EQUIS)

Two of those species show up in Weeds of the West, and Sunset Gardening warns that the plant can be invasive and so is best confined to containers. You could try looking up the plant on GardenWeb or Dave's Garden plant files to see what they say about its preferences. If you put it in and it does/doesn't work, I'd like to hear about it -- I've always liked the look of it myself.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode