Glosso Carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glosso Carpet?

This is my first time working with glosso. I've bought a new ten gallon just for this plant. Right now its got 38 watts in the 10 g one CF has a reflector but is only 15w the other doesn't and is 23w. I've read and hear that higher the lighting the better but if i lower my 23w to 15w and add the reflector would it be alright? Currently i'm unable to put a cover and reflector for the 23w because its so big but i can fit it onto the 15w. Also should i seperate my 2- 1 inch square bunches or leave the close together? Last but not least this tank has eco-complete as subtrate and CO2 is running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone
This is my first time working with glosso. I've bought a new ten gallon just for this plant. Right now its got 38 watts in the 10 g one CF has a reflector but is only 15w the other doesn't and is 23w. I've read and hear that higher the lighting the better but if i lower my 23w to 15w and add the reflector would it be alright? Currently i'm unable to put a cover and reflector for the 23w because its so big but i can fit it onto the 15w. Also should i seperate my 2- 1 inch square bunches or leave the close together? Last but not least this tank has eco-complete as subtrate and CO2 is running.
you will be fine with that light. Separate into small bunches, plant separately 2-3 inches apart.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 11:15 PM

Yea 38 watt should be plenty! I reduced from 39 to 26 and they're still doing fine. Except for in the shade, that's where they tend to start to grow vertically. About planting them, I was always a glutton for punishment so i seperated each individual leaf node and planted it. The first time around was with emersed growth, it took quite awhile for it to start sending off runners. The second time (more recently) was after i tore my tank down to remove the microswords and run a pure glosso carpet. It was with horizontal growth glosso with a well developed roots. Planting was fast. The long part was seperating each node again.

Alot of people just plant them in very small bunches and cut runners to head it grow densly.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It is best to plant glosso with only a pair of leaves each. I have 2x15w CF over 10gallon, it is spreading horizontally without problem. Growth is slow without CO2 in my tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

How much trace do you dose in the 10 gallon Shalu? I just setup a 10 gallon with glosso and dont know how much to dose, it's got 72 watts over it .
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just last week I got some glosso for my 10G as well. I upgraded my lighting from 26 Total watt to 54 total wattage. However, I find my glosso growing tall and leggy instead of short and bushy. Anyone knows why?

So far I haven't seen any runners yet. Should I trim the tall leaves to force it to grow horizontally?

I have pressurized CO2 at around 30ppm. pH 6.8 and KH 6. NO3 at 12ppm and PO4 is very high at 10ppm. Phosphate is something I need to work on to reduce, but would high phosphate do this?

I also dose Fe and K. I think the high PO4 is coming from fish food, as I tested my tap water which has 0 PO4.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20turbo
How much trace do you dose in the 10 gallon Shalu? I just setup a 10 gallon with glosso and dont know how much to dose, it's got 72 watts over it .
Wow, that's a lot of light I would look at 7-10ml per week at that light level. I dose a little less, 3-5ml because my light level is lower.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmhippo
Just last week I got some glosso for my 10G as well. I upgraded my lighting from 26 Total watt to 54 total wattage. However, I find my glosso growing tall and leggy instead of short and bushy. Anyone knows why?

So far I haven't seen any runners yet. Should I trim the tall leaves to force it to grow horizontally?

I have pressurized CO2 at around 30ppm. pH 6.8 and KH 6. NO3 at 12ppm and PO4 is very high at 10ppm. Phosphate is something I need to work on to reduce, but would high phosphate do this?

I also dose Fe and K. I think the high PO4 is coming from fish food, as I tested my tap water which has 0 PO4.
I highly doubt fish food can contribute that much PO4. You might need to play detective a bit more. 10ppm is very unusual, but probably is not causing the Glosso problem, but who knows for sure.

Is glosso shaded by taller plants? By all means, trim all the vertical growing glosso stems to encourage horizontal growth. Give it a little more time to send out runners.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
The only problem I have with glosso in my 10 gallon is that it tries to overtake the tank. It grows low and carpets nicely, bu then quickly begins growing over top of itself and then the carpet gets thicker and thicker and needs to be replanted periodically. I have ahsupply 2X13 watts on the back and a regular 10ga striplight on the front, which I think is like 15 watts. I have diy CO2 with the little hagen ladder. The only time I have seen it grow leggy is when there isn't enough light. Maybe it is being shaded.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Wei
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wei
I have glosso planted in my 29gal w/ 4.4wpg and pres CO2. Still it is trying to grow up and isnt really forming a carpet effect. It is spreading horizontally but it has more noticable vertical growth.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmhippo
I hope someone knows why. I have the same problem in my 20g that has 110w of light (ah supply 6700k's w/reflector)

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
do you guys seperate the plantlets and such??..i duno just throwing out an idea
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

I suspect you just planted glosso stems as small bunches? You should cut away all stems sticking out of the substrate. I always cut the original stems into short sections with only a pair of leaves and plant those individually. Here is how it looks when I first planted glosso:

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

thx guys first thing when i get time is seperating all that glosso
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I didn't at first, but after I separated into smaller bunches it grew a lot better...it spreads and grows like crazy, it just grows more high & leggy than I would like, although Co2 levels are high and so are light levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FobbyBobby
do you guys seperate the plantlets and such??..i duno just throwing out an idea

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode