zeolite and nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
zeolite and nitrates

ive read somewhere that saturated zeolites increase the amount of nitrates in the water. can i use, already used and saturated zeolite to increase the nitrates in a tank thats reading zero nitrates.

125 ga. Pressured co2. T5ho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I might be wrong here, but I think zeolites are something that can hold on to nitrates or other anything else and release it back out in small amounts. I am saying this wrong but you get the idea. I dont think zeolites by themselves have that property.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Zeolites are usually used to remove ammonia in a tank without the proper population of nitrifying bacteria.

Other things, usually with a positive charge, are attracted to the zeolite. The various things have different levels of attraction.
When something is attracted to the zeolite (for example ammonia) with a stronger attraction that something already attached to it (perhaps sodium), then the material with the lighter attraction (sodium) is bumped off, and the material with the stronger attraction (ammonia) gets next to the zeolite.

There is a use in agriculture where ammonia laden zeolite is used as a fertilizer.
Ammonia added to the soil is often used by the plants right away, but if not the soil bacteria may change it into nitrate by the same process that happens in our tanks.
If this is what you had heard, thinking of it as a source of nitrate fertilizer for your aquarium, then no, I do not think this is a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeolite

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode