what's involved in cleaning a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what's involved in cleaning a planted tank?

Hi,

I'd like to start a planted nano tank, Fluval Edge, and am wondering what's involved in cleaning such tanks other than the usual pwc's?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
light gravel vac, although some don't do any at all since everything is covered with plants.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
light gravel vac, although some don't do any at all since everything is covered with plants.
that's kinda what I was wondering. Once an aquascape is setup, is there any need to dismantle it for cleaning? such as branches, rocks etc. I'm just trying to figure out what will need to be done if I go all out with plants and gear.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
There shouldn't be any need to dismantle regularly. One thing I have to add before I sleep is that planted tanks are messy in that there are fallen leaves everywhere and detritus and things like that. Stuff floats around. Cleaning your filter is important. Having a prefilter sponge on your intake can help this a lot by having that sponge catch more of the plant matter that is floating around. A bottom feeder crew like corys or cherry shrimp can be nice as well, but I would do more research on your own on what livestock you want.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
On my planted tanks, I do not do cleaning and things. I top off my tank with water, and clean my filter floss from my sump, but that's it. The snails take care of dead plant matter, and the plants take care of the wastes from the tank. I might do a small 6gallon wc when I notice my tannins getting high from constant top-offs, but that's hardly a drop in the bucket in a 105g tank and is very infrequent. When you get things right in your tank it should go like that for you as well, unless you run Co2 or dose lots of fertz. This low-maintenance is what drew me to planted freshwater tanks to begin with. It is really up to you, and depends on how clean you want to keep your tank. There are people in here that keep their tanks pristine and go nuts if they see a speck of detritus on a plant, and are totally content like that. For me, though, I enjoy looking at my tank more than working on them all the time. That is why I choose to do it this way.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode