clipping - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
okay update time!

my snails seem to not have a liking for java fern or wendtii red, as they have not bothered any of my plants, so that's a good thing.

now i have a question. my java ferns are getting little smaller growths (buds i guess?). i'm taking this as a good thing. my question is what do i do with them? should i just leave them there, or clip them and replant them? if i clip them, how do i go about doing it? this is the first time that any of my plants have even lived this long, much less began to show more life! so i'm completly clueless as to what i should do with them now. any help would be great!!!:aah:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Let the new growth grow for a while on the mother plant. After they are at least 15%-20% the size of the mother plant, clip them and replant them. You give them a better chance of survival if they've had time to develop stronger leaves and some roots.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 11:34 PM

don't clip it, just pull it off gently once it reaches about half the size of the mother plant. then you can plant the baby java ferns...

Mary

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks gulfcoast. so i'll let them grow for a bit, as they're only about 2", and the mother plant is closer to 8".

so when i clip them, should i just take a sissor and cut as close to the point of growth on the mother plant?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
That's what I do. With my Ferns, though, I don't even need to use scissors, I just grab the base of the new shoot and pull and tear it away from the mother plant. You might risk losing the shoot, though, so if you feel more comfortable clipping them with scissors, i recommend you try that method.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

okay then. thanks for the help! i'll let you know how it works out when i finally harvest them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode