36 gallon bow front - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
36 gallon bow front

Finally was able to plant my 36 gallon bow front. I have a Co2 setup but would prefer not to use it and go lowlight. I have two Coralife 30" T5NO with Black Diamond and Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. Also I will have to add another piece of slate to the driftwood to keep it sunk.

Here is a list of plants so far:
3x Ambulia 6x Rotala Singapore 1x Ammania Senegalensis 3x Lidernia sp India 3x Limnophila sp 'mini' 3x Limnophila Vietnam 'mini' 3x Ludwigia x Arcuata 3x Ludwigia Lacustris 2x Red Myrio 3x Rotala Green 5x Rotala Colorata 2x Rotala Rotundifolia

These are coming Monday I think 1 Hygrophila corymbosa kompakt (4 inch high or taller)
1 ball of mixed moss (java /peacock but most likely more on peacock)
8-10 stems Rotala sp (probably colorata, tips near light are pinkish)

A couple of questions, if I choose to run no Co2 am I going to kill all my plants I just bought. I will probably rescape with the new plants, anything suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for cell phone pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
With no Co2 and that light level you will be over run with algae in about two weeks. I would forecast thread algae and GSA to start with. Is the tank new or did you just put the plants in an established tank, I couldn't tell from reading the post?

That many free nutrients in the water with that much light is asking for trouble. You need to greatly increase your plant biomass and pump in your Co2 to keep the algae at bay while your plants gain a foothold in the tank.

To answer your question though, no you will not kill any plants by not running Co2 but to be honest you won't experience any great growth either. Carbon is the main building block required by your plants and it is the main facilitator of growth. In short depending on the overall goals of your tank having Co2 and not running it is just asking for a world of trouble.

Cheers,
Abe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrium View Post
With no Co2 and that light level you will be over run with algae in about two weeks. I would forecast thread algae and GSA to start with. Is the tank new or did you just put the plants in an established tank, I couldn't tell from reading the post?

That many free nutrients in the water with that much light is asking for trouble. You need to greatly increase your plant biomass and pump in your Co2 to keep the algae at bay while your plants gain a foothold in the tank.

To answer your question though, no you will not kill any plants by not running Co2 but to be honest you won't experience any great growth either. Carbon is the main building block required by your plants and it is the main facilitator of growth. In short depending on the overall goals of your tank having Co2 and not running it is just asking for a world of trouble.

Cheers,
Abe

Thanks but that leads me to a couple of questions One based on hoppys par sheet, I am in the medium light category. How would I stop the algae bloom without adding Co2? Do I need to stagger the timings of my lights? I have root medic ferts on the way as well. I am all for adding more plants.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

are those coralife fixtures the 30" 2 X 18w fixtures?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes they are.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You're pumping 72w of light into that 36 gallon bow front if you have two of those fixtures. That is too much light to not be running Co2 for your own good. I'm not saying anything bad but you will have algae.

I have a 125 gallon high-tech, pressurized Co2 and I only pump in about 1.4 wpg because today's lights have such high intensity. I STILL have GSA. If you don't want to introduce Co2 because of the headache or personal preference lets cut you're light down to a single fixture and start looking at plants that excel in lower light like swords, crypts, and some of the rotala family. However, carpeting plants are typically hard to care for in low light, non Co2 conditions.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Why is this to much light I run 2 24w bulbs if not more in my 29 gallon.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
Co2?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also, my lights are about 18" from the substrate as well.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The coralife NO fixtures have horrible reflectors, your more likely in the higher low light category with one fixture. i had the same fixture over my 36 gal, and ran it for over a year with no co2 and no algae, and was only able to get away with low light plants. You will be fine.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Cheers,
Abe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
Quote:
You're pumping 72w of light into that 36 gallon bow front if you have two of those fixtures. That is too much light to not be running Co2 for your own good. I'm not saying anything bad but you will have algae.

I have a 125 gallon high-tech, pressurized Co2 and I only pump in about 1.4 wpg because today's lights have such high intensity. I STILL have GSA. If you don't want to introduce Co2 because of the headache or personal preference lets cut you're light down to a single fixture and start looking at plants that excel in lower light like swords, crypts, and some of the rotala family. However, carpeting plants are typically hard to care for in low light, non Co2 conditions.
the WPG rule is obsolete and was originally created for T12 bulbs, it is not a good measurement of how much light is in your tank with any tech. newer than T-8 bulbs

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
the WPG rule is obsolete and was originally created for T12 bulbs, it is not a good measurement of how much light is in your tank with any tech. newer than T-8 bulbs

Exactly

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

With this method of new tech, I should be in the low-med lighting. I definately do not want a algae bloom. I have the timer set for around 7-1/2 hours per day.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscotty View Post
With this method of new tech, I should be in the low-med lighting. I definately do not want a algae bloom. I have the timer set for around 7-1/2 hours per day.
Your right on the edge, with medium light your going to want that safety net IE co2, or Excel dosing to keep any algae at bay. Keep a close eye on the tank, you will probably grow some algae in the upper 1/3 of the tank, since that is where the light will be most intense. I had a pretty bad algae bloom in my 36 when I had the Coralife fixture, and a single bulb T8 on at the same time, once I removed the T8 bulb, things returned to normal.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Your right on the edge, with medium light your going to want that safety net IE co2, or Excel dosing to keep any algae at bay. Keep a close eye on the tank, you will probably grow some algae in the upper 1/3 of the tank, since that is where the light will be most intense. I had a pretty bad algae bloom in my 36 when I had the Coralife fixture, and a single bulb T8 on at the same time, once I removed the T8 bulb, things returned to normal.
I have dosed with Excel when I first planted but in your opinion should I just bite the bullet and apply Co2 or just dose with excel. Reason why I am hesitant is Im trying to keep as little visible as we are in a loft and I cannot hide the Co2 system based on where the tank is setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode