Newbie saying hi with advise request - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie saying hi with advise request

Hi guys as the title says I'm new here. Hopefully I can settle in nicely and pick up lots of new stuff from you guys.

I've kept fish for years and currently keep a 5x2x2 and a small 35ltr fry tank. Neither of which are planted as I aren't really too clued up on that side of things. I love to look at tanks all planted up and looking nice and natural though so would love to have a go at kitting out the 5 footer.

At teh moment it's literally a tank with play sand substrate and some pebbles, rocks and south american cichlids. It has a T5 light unit with two tubes (one tropical and one daylight)
So I'm literally a complete n00b in need of direction.

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Let me be the first to welcome you {wow newbie with 1 post} this forum is awsome so many members will help u along the way just last january i was a newbie and ive learned so much after being away from the hobbie for years.
Your light is good your substrate is lacking nutreints youll need to dose with ferts to get good growth thats a start ---welcome Bruce
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Hi Sev,

Welcome to ThePlantedTank!

Glad to have you here. This is the place to get a lot of info, data, and several other websites too on how on to get started.

First, I would like to ask what kind of tank are you making it out to be? Perhaps a low-maintenance tank or high? If you want something that is low-tech without the high budget, then you should go for the low-light plants; these are plants that need low light, and don't need a lot of attention at all or just little. For high-tech, you will need to be getting more equipment and etc so it would suit your needs in the long run.. Pressurized Co2/DIY, stronger lights, timers, substrate, and ferts. Which you would have to spend quite a large amount of money on, but unless you are very handy person, you can try DIY as well and save some $$$; So with all the gear with you, you will be rewarded with being able to grow a variety of plants that are fancier looking and such.

As for the cichlid tank, if you want to just go ahead and keep it running, it's already low-tech, so you could try adding in some low light plants like Java fern varieties; this plant would work wonders for your cichlid tank as they are hardy and bitter-tasting for your fish, so none of your cichlids would think about eating them. Also anubias or crypts.. well assuming your cichlids won't uproot them or eat them.

Anyway good luck!

-William

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode