What’s your primary reason for keeping planted aquaria? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What’s your primary reason for keeping planted aquaria?
I like the way they look 55 78.57%
To master the vast underlying science 11 15.71%
To impress my family and friends 0 0%
Nothing better to do 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
What’s your primary reason for keeping planted aquaria?

The ‘monkeys and banana thread’ got me thinking about why I keep aquaria. I think it’s the underlying science that consistently holds my interest (It’s endless!) but I also really love the look of a healthy, thriving tank. Were I ‘money is no object’ rich, I’m sure I’d still be up to my armpits in water, plants, and nerdy science literature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like challenges.

But it's not one of the choice
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:03 PM

I like the way plants look together in some harmonious collection, just as I like them in my perennial garden. Different colors, shapes and textures in a complementary arrangement. I also like the science and gadgetry behind the scenes, which I delve into more so than most people. Like I just read about the structure and function of carotenoid pigments, which helps me understand more about plants and perhaps gain some insight into their nutritional needs. It keeps my creative as well as intellectual juices flowing!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Just for the record I voted, I just like the way they look. It also has something to do with being in control of my own little universe. I guess I have to feel in control of something because the bank, my family, and customers control mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Ag

I do it for the chicks.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag
I do it for the chicks.
Yeah....me too....never failes to impress them eh?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Algae Grower

Plants for the challange, fish for the looks.

Raf
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:05 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Number one is definitely the looks. But probably interpreted in a broad way. Yes, I find them aestetically pleasing to look at. But underlying the superficial appearance is an appreciation that they are healthy and organic.
Yes, I know that aquaria are by their very nature incredibly artificial constructs. But a considerable aspect of their allure for me is that they mimic natural systems.

I am far more drawn to the forest, ocean, mountains, or desert, than I am to cities, theater, or sporting events. Science, including biology and ecology, impress me as very real - moreso than any human constructs, and so tremendously necessary to our very existence. The efforts I put into maintaining a healthy ecosystem in my tank reinforces the importance to me of preserving clean environment on a larger scale.

That and I just like plants.

And I personally consider the equipment and chemistry somewhat of a pain - a necessary evil if you will.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got into to it because peace and tranquility isn't something you can buy off the shelf. And I don't have the patience for bonsai.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

You forgot "All of the above" and "Because I'm insane"
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Needed another option. I grow them because I *hate* plastic plants.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 06:55 PM

For me, the end result was because they look better then any other type of aquarium in the hobby...the road to the end result is as intriguing as the final set-up...A planted tank combines science, art, subtitle manipulation, and a bit of playing god; All things that are just as fun to me as viewing the finished tank.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I voted I do it cuz they look good, but as someone who has kept fish for years, there is something about a fully planted tank that seems like a more complete miniature ecosystem to me. The fish make waste and the plants use it, while making the water conditions much better for the fish. They are mutually beneficial to each other.
The plants DO look good, but a planted tank is just much healthier for the fish...assuming no CO2 crashes, of course.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat
Yeah....me too....never failes to impress them eh?
I don't know... It doesn't seem to work on my wife. Especially when she sees the receipts.

Yves

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Doesn't work on my girlfriend, either. Especially since she thinks the shrimp are hideous and the other little critters I keep, like whiteworms and fruit flies are gonna infest her house like some sort of plague of locusts or something.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode