Should i trim this and if so how :? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should i trim this and if so how :?

Hi everone,

This is my first post here. I have planted a small 60l aquarium with a variety of plants about a couple of weeks ago. It is mostly planted with hygrophilia species.

When i first got the plant i had purple leaves which are falling off for some reason now and getting replaced by green ones instead, but only on top.

I would like to get the area looking really thick and bushy but i do not know how to acheive this properly, hence me asking you guys for expert advice

I have attached a couple of images of how the tank looks right now.

What i would like to achieve is to get it looking like this:

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/imag...erma_green.jpg

I know what is in the link above may be a different species but it is the effect i am after, i'd like to get a proper proper bush effect.

I have read that i should trim the top leaves to get it to grow more bottom leaves but i dunno how to do this, how much do i remove, from where do i cut?

Complete noob here :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (85.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (58.0 KB, 78 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know on the trimming but you need to get the plant growing good first. Leafs falling off and changing color are signs that the plants requirements are not being met. So how much light do you have?
Are you adding co2?
Are you fertilizing?
What type of substrate do you have?
What type of filtration and current is used in this tank?
Water parameters?
Without the necessary information how could anyone help you.

I am just asking so you could be helped.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

hi, thank you for your reply and sorry for my lack of info.

The aquarium is a 60 litre tank.
I retrofitted 2x23w 6500K energy savers for a total of 46w @ 6500k.

The substrate is normal sand, not fertilized. I add liquid fertilizer once a week.

I am not adding any co2, but i do plan on making one of those yeast sugar diy co2 things down the line.

The plants have grown a lot of new leaves and i also checked the roots and they have grown a lot also.

The hygrophila were almost purple when i first got them. The leaves now have either started to turn green or else fallen off, but i really do not think they are dying, i think they are adapting to the new enviornment, or al least that is what it seems like.

The filtration is a standard internal filter with the pump set on high. I have no idea what my water params are but i have angels, neon tetras and a pleco which are all doing well.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well the plant has a "medium" growth rate speed. And under your parameters I would say its going to stay at that speed.

Like aqum said, you need to get good growth and leaves falling off is not a sign of that.

I would say get the diy co2 as its MUCH better than nothing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

It's hard to tell if it is enough light by eye or pictures. Are you talking about home light bulb cfl's. My friend put four over his tank and got it to medium light with the twist type bulbs. IME lower leafs falling off, plant growing tall and turning green are symptoms of low light. Be careful though too much light makes it hard to keep the algae in check. Is your substrate enriched in some way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
If the hygrophila corymbosa had purple leaves when you purchased it, it was most likely grown emersed. It is shedding those leaves and acclimating to submerged growth with new leaves.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post
if the hygrophila corymbosa had purple leaves when you purchased it, it was most likely grown emersed. It is shedding those leaves and acclimating to submerged growth with new leaves.
+ 1

SunSun Pimp #57

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode