Is it to late :(? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is it to late :(?

Well sadly I know the answer is probably yes to my question..

I have my 40 gal tank housing my 2 turtles and 14 other small community fish (biggest fish are my 3 new dwarf gouramis).

It was my first tank so I didn't really know what I was doing or that I wanted it planted.

I have an empty 30 gal. tank which I am making into a planted.

My question: is it to late to switch from yucky looking plastic plants to live plants? I have extremely high-quality parameters on my tank, and I already have a c02 system.. the only part is the gravel which is just Petco Aquarium Gravel.

Soo, yes? try with some low tech plants, maybe it will work
or..
no, they will just die. so Just get it right on my 30 gal tank?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I dont see why it woule be too late? Give it a shot with easy plants (java fern etc, you can find a list on here).

You'll eventually want to replace the blue gravel though...you may want to bite the bullet now before you put more stuff into your tank. Everything I've read says many plants will grow fine in normal gravel..

Carl
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Gravel isn't the best substrate.

You can grow many plants in gravel nonetheless, as long as their particular needs of light, fertilization, and CO2 are met.

The only ones I have problems with in my gravel tanks is those that carpet, or otherwise spread through the substrate with runners.

But the real question is... will the turtles eat plants?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I would seperate your fish from your turtles. I did that before and my fish started disappearing. Also it's never too late to start real plants. Maybe you can use dirt as your substrate. I've seen many low tech tanks using it
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
But the real question is... will the turtles eat plants?
Good question, I don't think so as most turtle owners with planted tanks don't seem to have a problem.

Also my 2 turtles are super lazy with a very friendly nature. they had been 3 small tetras and a common pleco for over 8 months in my old 20 gal. (next project). But i never had any problems so I am not to worried about them eating fish :P

>>> As for plants, I know java fern is easy, and i like how it looks but do you have any other suggestions or a like to really easy to care for plants? as I have never done a planted tank, just done a little research :P

Thanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Good question, I don't think so as most turtle owners with planted tanks don't seem to have a problem.

Also my 2 turtles are super lazy with a very friendly nature. they had been 3 small tetras and a common pleco for over 8 months in my old 20 gal. (next project). But i never had any problems so I am not to worried about them eating fish :P

>>> As for plants, I know java fern is easy, and i like how it looks but do you have any other suggestions or a like to really easy to care for plants? as I have never done a planted tank, just done a little research :P

Thanks
A few years back when I had turtles, the young ones ate live food or pellets but did not harm the livestock (unless I bought a dozen roses for live food and they were devoured), not really sure why they didn't harm any of the other fish like tetras. Then as they grew older they did not take live food only plants (anacharis mainly). The biggest problem I had was switching to a dirt based substrate because they loved digging and messing things up. If I had to do it over again I would have just use NL java fern and anubias on some driftwood.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2606 View Post
A few years back when I had turtles, the young ones ate live food or pellets but did not harm the livestock (unless I bought a dozen roses for live food and they were devoured), not really sure why they didn't harm any of the other fish like tetras. Then as they grew older they did not take live food only plants (anacharis mainly). The biggest problem I had was switching to a dirt based substrate because they loved digging and messing things up. If I had to do it over again I would have just use NL java fern and anubias on some driftwood.
ooh thanks I think I will use those 2 plants! I have to completely re-aquascape because I hate the look of my tank right now
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would give it a try. Gravel that has been in the tank for a while has collected some mulm. Years ago, I had a planted tank with a gravel substrate and I didn't have any major problems.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
2 turtles in a 40 WITH fish? ouch.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of turtles, RES? My RES destroyed my pond plants. My river cooter loves snacking on the plants. How big are your turtles, I am assuming they are less than 3 inches since they are with your fish still? But if they are full grown, you may want to upgrade to a bigger aquarium. Mainly because that is too small for the turtles, and turtles produce a lot of waste. (This is based if they are RES)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggalot01 View Post
What kind of turtles, RES? My RES destroyed my pond plants. My river cooter loves snacking on the plants. How big are your turtles, I am assuming they are less than 3 inches since they are with your fish still? But if they are full grown, you may want to upgrade to a bigger aquarium. Mainly because that is too small for the turtles, and turtles produce a lot of waste. (This is based if they are RES)

Ya, the standard rule is 10gal/inch of turtle shell length. I have a 8" female cooter that is getting a 125gal tank soon and a 5" male that is getting her old 55gal. Turtles need big tanks, lots of filtration, and they will eat fish, even if they live with them for 6 or 7 months.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

2 painted turtles, wild caught. I found them as babies before they had ever reached the water (just hatched) so I have had them for there entire life. The female =2.15inch shell and the male = 1.75inch shell. As for a bigger tank, I plan on upgrading when they need it :P

Also the question was really just can I put plants in the tank with non-specific plant substrate, and it looks like I can so wewt :P

For all who are worried, my turtles are lazy and have been with fish sense they were born, I feed them very well with a varity of foods so I am not worried about my other community fish.

Thanks for the plant help!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Even if you never planted anything in your substrate you could still technically plant your tank. There are MANY plants that you don't actually plant, but instead tie to driftwood, or weight down by tying them to rocks etc.. In addition, there are many top floating cover plants, and also stem floating plants like anacharis and hornwort that require little to no care outside of a little light and occasional trimming. You can actually grow some plants in gravel, but even if you couldn't, you could still plant your tank. =)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode